|Shovels And Rope / Little Seeds|
|Add Date:||2017-04-05|| ||Pull Date:||2017-06-07|| ||Charts:||Country/Bluegrass|
|Week Ending:||11 Jun||7 May||30 Apr||16 Apr|
Fifth release from Charleston based husband/wife team of Michael Trent & Cary Ann Hearst. True to the spirit of their home town, the CD contains several hauntingly beautiful bluesy numbers. It does falter a bit (IMHO) when they pick up the tempo and plugin the fuzz box.|
Recommended: 1, 3, 4, 6, 9
1. I Know - Fun uptempo number about a transvestite beauty pageant with Heart's kick drum setting the pace. Shades of Bowie & Mott the Hupple. Really liked this one.
2. Botched Execution - uptempo, poppy & a bit chaotic
3. St. Annes Parade - slow & bluesy, pretty duet vocals
4. The Last Hawk - catchy, uptempo
5. Buffalo Nickel - spooky feel, powerful guitars, too discordant for me
6. Mourning Song - nice, mid-tempo song with great harmonies - recommend
7. Invisible Man - uptempo, Hearst on lead vocals
8. Johnny Come Outside - slow downer song about a man with psychological issues
9. Mission Ridge - Hauntingly beautiful number about a Civil War battle. Great harmonies accented with a lovely mandolin
10. San Andreas - Pretty blues number about migrating to California
11. BWYR - Ode to all lives matter, eg black, white, yellow & red with simple guitar backing.
12. Eric's Birthday - recording from a birthday party. Skip this one.
13. This Ride - Mid-tempo, slow ending with voice over. Skip this one.
A husband and wife duo from Charleston, South Carolina, Michael Trent and Cary Ann Hearst represent Americana music to the fullest, blending traditional stylistic influences to create a unique sound. I liked this band much more than I was expecting, esp. # 3, 4, 5, 6, 9**(best, most interesting song), and 11.
1. med – Americana rock with an almost industrial quality
2. med/fast – interesting lyrics/style
3. slow – nice duet, female voice shows some depth
4. med – catchy tune
5. med – strong beat, nice alternating male/female singing
6. slow/med – a memorial song about a mandolin player
7. med/fast – Indie rock vibe- reminds me of X of the 80’s
8. slow/med – interesting story about Johnny, the Golden Boy
9. med – Bluegrass story of young men being slaughtered, but a happy sounding song
10. slow – nice, mellow song about CALIFORNIA
11. slow/med – totally unique to album, spooky; mainly vocals with echoing sounds
12. A quick story about a birth, presumably Eric’s
13. med/fast - song about the ride we’re all on called life