|Regrettes, The / Feel Your Feelings Fool!|
|Add Date:||2017-03-15|| ||Pull Date:||2017-05-17|| |
|Week Ending:||9 Apr||2 Apr||26 Mar||19 Mar|
|miss black eyeliner|
The Regrettes are an up-and-coming retro garage punk band from LA; think 90’s riot grrrl meets 60’s doo wop. 16-year-old Lydia Night’s lyrics are simultaneously spunky and vulnerable, and will bring you back to your high school days. Fun feminist punk that accurately and accessibly captures what it’s like to be a woman in today’s world without being super political. |
Reminds me of: Cherry Glazerr, Slutever, The Coathangers, The Pretty Reckless
Favorite Tracks: 2, 9, 14, 15
1. (2:47) Drawling vocals, simple lyrics. Prominent drums bring power to the song.
2. (2:38)* FCC: ass (0:23), bitch (0:49). 60’s-esque guitar. An empowering anthem for women with cute a capella intro.
3. (3:30) High-energy, high attitude, almost-love song. Fun synth interludes.
4. (2:40) FCC: shit (0:15, 0:24). Angry, garage punk. Drums and soft guitar melodies building up to loud, frenetic bursts of sound.
5. (3:28) FCC: fuck (0:44, 1:38), ass (1:19), bitch (2:41). Musically mild relative to other songs in the album. Especially woke feminist lyrics.
6. (1:51) Quick and frenzied. A fun track.
7. (2:51) Simple, repetitive lyrics with a foot-tapping tune. Really into the angelic background vocals.
8. (5:27) FCC fucked (2:24, 4:22). Slow, dark, melancholy. Gritty vocals. Definitely adds variety to the album.
9. (2:54)* Very catchy, somewhat beachy. Cute doo-wopping and driving instrumentals.
10. (2:03) FCC asshole (1:24). Squeaky vocals with no shortage of attitude. Spoken section with only drums, album title mentioned.
11. (2:38) Teen angst. Breakup song. Solid, but not the most exciting track of the album.
12. (2:48) FCC damn (0:14), bitch (0:14). Mostly spoken, weirdly reminiscent of Ke$ha except with the expected retro punk fervor. Also takes inspiration from Salt-N-Pepa’s “Push It”. Worth checking out.
13. (4:00) Dominated by vocals. Could be the soundtrack to Janis and Cady’s Mean Girls friendship.
14. (1:53)* FCC bitch (0:35), fucking (1:10), shit (1:28). Intro sung without instrumental accompaniment. A short song, but one of the most vibrant and original.
15. (5:26) FCC bitch (4:08). Two songs (“You Won’t Do” and “Cold”) separated by silence between 1:59 and 2:33. Transitions from a very high energy punk jam to a soft ballad, which is definitely a highlight of this record.