A Story of Rats / Hellvete |
A Story of Rats / Hellvete (Split)
Reviewed by BravoMarco
If this was missed in 2012, it’s a must listen & play release now. Hellvete is Glen Steenkiste’s solo project from the Belgium group Silvester Anfang II. A Story of Rats is Garek Guss & James Woodhead, based in that hotbed of experimental sounds of Seattle. Both projects compliment each other to perfection. Deeply stirring & disturbing, this is an austere experimental journey.
Both like: Mytrip, Coagul, Brannten Schnüre
All just great: Although 1,4 & 5 are way up there.
No FCC’s (Instrumentals – Voices a rumbling on the A Story of Rats track)
1) Hellvete -Opening (2.15) Unnerving slow cascade of vibrations with a hint of a violent episode to come.
2) De Grote Hondered Bunders (8.08) Relentless eerie drone. Like a low manipulated one cord bagpipe.
3) Droomkrljger (8.31) A lighter drone, just as persistent as the previous with an added throb for good measure.
4) Verdonken Land (2.45) This gets up into your guts & turns then upside down. Like being on a roller coaster ride in slow motion. Bloody brilliant, just much too short.
A Story of Rats
5) The Chariot and The Wooden Spear (19.01) Even more of a menacing opening, slow & gut wrenching throughout. This is as bleak & good as it gets. Play any part of this beauty if time is against you. (long fade)