|Flock Of Dimes / If You See Me, Say Yes|
|Add Date:||2017-12-03|| ||Pull Date:||2018-02-04|| |
|Week Ending:||10 Dec|
Flock of Dimes / If You See Me, Say Yes|
reviewed by amy cummings
Debut album from Jenn Wasner of Wye Oak. Fun synth pop noises, a little bit psychedelic but not too intense, light and fun, cool lady vocals. The vox function more like any other instrument in this album than as a focal point. The album is upbeat and energetic. Vocalist kind of has a cool dated quality that reminds me of ladies like Dido, Alanis Morissette, Sarah McLaughlin, etc but the vocal effects applied make it modern.
RIYL: Sylvan Esso, Arcade Fire, Feist, St. Vincent
1. Sometimes It Is Right (00:20): Starts off with a cool intro that gets reprised later, not much substance (very short) but sounds nice
2. Birthplace (04:12): This one has a little more clarity to the vocals than some of the other tracks. Smooth and consistent and picks up toward the middle.
3. The Joke (03:12): Sounds bright and celebratory. Fun bouncy intro instrumentals, then vox come in. Starts fading out very slowly around 2:50.
4. ***Everything Is Happening Today (4:00): Upbeat, celebratory, energetic, one of the most dynamic songs on the album.
5. *Semaphore (03:47): Vocals come in right away! Good upbeat jam, fun and dancey, for the Reflektor crowd
6. *Ida Glow (04:04): Very slow fade in on intro for about 20 seconds, then gets upbeat and cool. Has a bit of a creepy sound to the vox at first, a rhythmic track.
7. Flight (05:34): Also rhythmic, vox have more of a light and airy quality though there is a sense of urgency.
8. Apparition (04:28): Low-key, laid-back track, instrumentals more muted this time
9. *Given/Electric Life (03:16): Nice colorful track, dynamic melody, energy level is about medium compared to the rest of the album and remains consistent throughout
10. *Minor Justice (03:29): Has a futuristic spoken vocal breakdown in the second half. Cool song, diverts a little from the rest of the album
11. You, The Vatican (04:20): Pretty vocals. Slower, lower energy. Cool discord toward the end.
12. ...To Have No Answer (03:49): Ethereal and cool sounds, can’t really hear the vocals, doesn’t really go anywhere but pleasant to listen to, nice synth vox ending, reprises track one