|Von Schleicher, Katie / Shitty Hits|
|Add Date:||2017-12-03|| ||Pull Date:||2018-02-04|| |
|Week Ending:||10 Dec|
Katie Von Schleicher / Shitty Hits|
reviewed by amy cummings
This is Katie’s third release. Slow tempos and a fuzzy rock sound overlaid with strong, emotionally charged vocals. Definitely got some cool catchy tracks. I’m not sure if I fully endorse her label’s comparison to Mitski, but it’s understandable in the vocal department.
RIYL: 70s pop, Mitski, the Dear Hunter, Jay Som
1. The Image (03:28): Starts sounding a lil’ crunchy but with a great vocal line, a good start to the album!
2. *Midsummer (02:34): Introspective, moody song with a catchy, simple chorus
3. **Paranoia (03:37): It’s about paranoia yet it’s surprisingly cheery and mellow! A solidly representative track off this album.
4. **Soon (02:42): A slow, mournful tune that’s one of the prettier ones among the album.
5. Nothing (04:18): Hazy and dark song about feeling nothing.
6. **Mary (03:37): This is a big standout track to me, it’s slower than the others and a bit more emotional. The guitar in the background is much simpler. Basically, if you cried to the Nick & Norah soundtrack back in the day, or still feel emo over Elliott Smith, this track is for you.
7. **Life’s A Lie (02:44): The pace of the album picks back up with this track which, again, is weirdly cheerful considering the song title and her explorations of loneliness.
8. Isolator (02:29): A nice, dynamic tune about...okay, I don’t know what it’s about. I think about getting upset? Musically this is a cool one.
9. Hold (02:02): Song about being a little crazy, this sounds like a haunted music box song. Still nice to listen to and only a bit unsettling!
10. Going Down (03:30): Dark! A stressful listen! Sounds like she’s gonna get some revenge on someone! Slow and consistent tempo throughout.
11. Sell It Back (04:16): Ooh, this one is pretty nice. Lighter and prettier than the others but still has a very dark undertone.