|Varona / A Part Of Your Soul|
|Add Date:||2018-08-19|| ||Pull Date:||2018-10-21|| |
|Week Ending:||14 Oct||9 Sep|
A Part Of Your Soul
Reviewed by BravoMarco
Local San Francisco band with plenty of attitude & spirit, after ten years together this is their splendid fourth LP release. Not easy to pigeonhole, which makes the appeal even more wide ranging. Shades of bluesy gothic-ness combined with an Eastern European flavor all blended together with an easy comparison to a Tom Waits-esque grizzle.
Like: The love child of Jolie Holland & Fields of the Nephilim raised by Gori Ussi Winnetou
Impressive release – loving 1,2,3,8
1) Tango (5.42) Brooding & moving – A lavish mid tempo affair with hints of klezmer combined with the mellower side of early 80’s post punk.
2) Night And Day (3.54) Slow paced charmer with the added spice of waiflike female vocals accompanying the Russian growl of lead singer Zhenya Kogan.
3) A Part Of Your Soul (6.03) Easy paced saxophone led sultriness.
4) I Don’t Want You (1.46) More up-tempo with that Gogo Bordello sensibility. Nice sense of humor to go along with the feel good rhythm.
5) Shells In The Sand (4.05) Anya Kogan takes over the vocals. Light tribal beat on this one.
6) Sun In The Ocean (3.20) Mid paced, yet still delicate – Lyrics in Russian.
7) When You Go (4.44) Atmospheric beginning that’s hints at early Cure tracks yet leads into a flamenco - ska hybrid.
8) Boo (6.10) The scintillating sax & piano make a return in a “Gun Club” & “Spear of Destiny” style offering. After a few listens this becomes addictive.
9) Spring (3.36) Really chilled guitars at play here, the tender & the harsh working together - the last minutes changes gears, leaving a wind swept apocalyptic conclusion – Lyrics in Russian.
10) Ankara (3.20) Something for everyone on this instrumental. Joyful Eastern European up beat sounds.