|New Spell / Of Time - Part Ii|
|Add Date:||2018-09-30|| ||Pull Date:||2018-12-02|| |
|Week Ending:||2 Dec||18 Nov||11 Nov||4 Nov||28 Oct||21 Oct||14 Oct||7 Oct|
“Of Time (Part II)” New Spell|
Follow-up to New Spell’s “Of Time (Part I)” EP in 2017. New Spell is a San Francisco-based duo known for dark, dynamic and cerebral dream-pop. The album features layered songs with many different textures from synth landscapes to complex rhythms and pristine vocals. Members include lead vocalist, keyboardist and songwriter, Leanne Kelly, and drummer, Jacob Frautschi. Max Savage produced the EP and performed on keyboards, glockenspiel and ukulele. Other guest artists contributed as well. RIYL: The Naked and Famous, Chvrches or Lightning Dust.
Recommended: 1, 4, 2. NO FCCs noted.
1. (4:43) You Win – Haunting and atmospheric at the start. Transition into pulsing and rhythmically intricate synth-pop. Hypnotizing vocals. ****
2. (3:26) Like Water – Piano. Synth layers with bell-like keys. Stop-and-go rhythm. Handclaps. Fragile vocals floating above. Elegant. ***
3. (3:54) Merely Mortal – Skipping, almost trip-hop rhythm. Piano and other cascading keyboards. Wistful vocals.
4. (3:39) Of Time – Light and lilting waltz. Playful keyboards including toy piano. Frautschi’s drums give the piece added dimension. ****
5. (3:49) Of Time (Acoustic Version) – Acoustic version of track #4.
6. (3:41) Like Water (Acoustic Version) – Acoustic version of track #2.