|Add Date:||2018-09-30|| ||Pull Date:||2018-12-02|| |
|Week Ending:||25 Nov||11 Nov||4 Nov||28 Oct|
Bell House / Shy Boys |
Self-described “The Beach Boys on Robitussin” is very accurate. Surf rock/pop with Beach Boys-esque harmonization. It’s easy listening and pretty samey. Very jangley. Not for those who aren’t fans of barbershop style music. It’s not a lo-fi album, though at some points it does sound pretty bedroom pop. Vocals are sweet, borderline saccharine. It never gets that exciting, but it is pleasant to listen to. FCC Clean. Favorites: 9, 4, 5 7
1. Miracle Gro (1:18) - Hand clapping and vocals. Beach Boys-esque harmonization. Barber shop boys vocalization.
2. Take the Doggie Out (1:34) - Understated drum, guitar riffs. Surf pop-y. Vocal harmonization. Brief, but fun. Lighthearted. Doo wop sound.
3. Tragic Loss (2:10) - Builds up with guitar and drums. Starts with a solo vocalist, other singers join in for chorus. Still light and upbeat despite the name of the song. Earnest vocals.
4. *No Fun (2:30) - Strolling beat. Finger picking guitar. Softer vocals. Catchy. “Can’t keep up anymore.” Vocal harmonization less obvious. Less surf pop, more bedroom pop.
5. *Evil Sin (2:35) - Vocal harmonization from the beginning. Very catchy, barbershop style. Jangly keys at the end.
6. Basement (1:32) - Jangley. Simple lyrics “my dog escaped. I read another story on the internet.” Guitar driven track. Short and catchy, like a jingle.
7. *Something Sweet (2:03) - Catchy vocals, with repetitive guitar chords. Sounds simple and sweet. Would be a good, light interlude song between heavier songs.
8. Bell House (3:45) - Quiet drum kick, syrupy vocals. Intertwining vocals. More melancholy and downbeat.
9. **Disconnect (1:52) - Open with quiet piano chords and, soft vocals. Understated bassline. Wavering strings come in halfway.
10. Champion (3:08) - Finger snaps and guitar. Piano and guitar comes in together with hand claps. Sweet vocals. Jangly guitar chords and piano line.