|Add Date:||2018-11-24|| ||Pull Date:||2019-01-26|| ||Charts:||Classical/Experimental|
|Week Ending:||2 Dec|
|1.||Sat, 01 Dec:||Mr. Tumnus|
Solo keyboard compositions from Mary Sutton of Portland, created for use in a sauna. Gentle, melodic, bubbly, fun, informed by classical technique, as if Satie had composed with a synth. Performed live with no overdubs. Will also appeal to fans of old sci-fi soundtracks and classic new age. This is Sutton’s first release on Kranky. My favorites are the softer pieces: 4, 5, 7, 9. No words, no FCCs. |
1. (4:43)—Very wobbly, upbeat waltz.
2. (4:07)—Thick, bright synth pads. Moody feel, like from a 90s computer game.
3. (4:17)—More thick, buzzy tones. Very slow. Deep bass.
4. *(5:06)—Soft sustained tones. A little melancholy. Very pretty high-pitched melodies.
5. *(2:32)—Gentle, staccato synth setting. A little fantastical.
6. (5:02)—Wobbly like track 1. Very sci-fi.
7. *(5:56)—Light-stepping, pleasant, smooth. Could credibly be a new age rendition of a bossa nova tune.
8. (3:03)—A little faster, a sharper synth setting, but still light in feel.
9. *(8:07)—Slow, shaky, pulsing, bright.