|Add Date:||2018-11-24|| ||Pull Date:||2019-01-26|| |
|Week Ending:||30 Dec||16 Dec|
The Return is the sophomore release by New Orleans musician Bênní. Describing himself as a ”new age impresario from the gulf coast,” Bênní’s second release continues the exploration of his first album by combining elements of B-movie horror score, 1980’s new age a la Windham Hill Records, and obscure vintage video game music. Instrumental music where not only the tempos fluctuate but the sounds themselves vary in amount and intensity. Trippy.|
Something elese from the press release:
Benny Divine’s impressive musical CV includes quantities such as The Gary Wrong Group, Wizzard Sleeve and Nashville’s prolific purveyor’s of Foghat-pop, Natural Child, but it was just a short year ago that Goner (record Label) gave wide release to the Bênní debut album, I & II, which launched the new sub-genre we now know as “Hi-NRG New Age.”
RIYL: Vision Heat, Claudio Simenetti, Wendy Carlos & Rachel Elkind, Tangerine Dream and John Carpenter & Alan Howarth.
NO WORDS, NO FFCs.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9
1. (5:02) *The Return Pt. 1 – Slow tempo. Synths, more synths, drum beat and more synths. Halfway through the song there’s a very Herbie Hancock inspired synth solo. Entering the gate.
2. (3:55) Ancient Plains – Slow tempo recording. Synths a la Wendy Carlos. Atmospheric. Really old ancient landscapes.
3. (3:41) **The Maze – Medium tempo piece. Synths a la John Carpenter circa Christine soundtrack. Recurring dreams.
4. (0:55) Final Take-off – Sonic epilogue. Winds and sand.
5. (6:07) ***The Return Pt. 2 – Slow/medium tempo. Almost new age music. 48 seconds into the piece, a cool beat emerges follow by a robotic voice. Trippy.
6. (4:09) ***Dance of the Eridani – Medium tempo recording. Upbeat drum tempo. Nice synth riff, fervent electronic sounds. Dramatic.
7. (3:09) In the Shadows – Slow tempo piece. Synths a la John Carpenter circa Halloween soundtrack. Automatic nightmares.
8. (6:58) *Master's Dream – Slow tempo. Synths a la Tangerine Dream. Infected brightness.
9. (5:32) **End of Light – Medium tempo. A rhythmic beat, a robotic voice and atmospheric synths. Exiting the last gate.