|Add Date:||2018-12-04|| ||Pull Date:||2019-02-05|| ||Charts:||RPM/Electronica, Classical/Experimental|
|Week Ending:||16 Dec|
Aphex Twin - “Collapse EP”|
Reviewed by Chano
Aphex Twin’s latest EP has tons of rhythms packed into each track; Very glitched out drum and bass vibes with really smooth synth chords and basslines on top of the madness. Lots of changes in each track making for fun and varied listening. I read some reviews that said this is among the best of his late career records. Very enjoyable whether you agree with that or not :)
Favorites: 1, 2, 4, 5
RIYL: glitched out beats, ambient jams, electronic music of all types.
1. “T69 collapse” - 5:23 - this is the lead single off of this EP; starts off with lots of cool skippy snare/percussion sounds; some nice ambient chords; then 2min it starts to glitch out and gets super spacey; the drum/percussive glitches have a cool way of speeding up/slowing down. Very dynamic. Vibe gets upbeat and positive feeling after the glitchiness with some cool bass line grooviness. Definitely play this if you haven’t already.
2. “1st 44” - 6:10 - lots of glitchy 808s, snares, and an interesting/semi creepy vocal sample; some scratching? Dope! The beat has a dope way of grooving despite transitioning between several different patterns. More glitchiness throughout. Intense vibey chords come in about 2min in. Last minute has the sounds more spread out and slowed down. Slow fade out (about 20seconds)
3. “MT1 t29r2” - 6:05 - very dramatic opening; I could see this starting off your show or getting it hyped up in the middle; really nice piano breakdown at the end of the first 60 seconds. Interesting breakdown in the middle that leads to chill chords on last couple of min. I really liked parts of this one but got kind of zoned out as I listened to it so I’m not going to list it as a fav.
4. Abundance10edit[2 R8’s, FZ20m & a 909]” - 6:20 - Awesome 909 drums (I’m guessing from the title) sound crispy and warm, even when glitched out. Cool vocal glitches lead into funky bassline and creepy child vocal sample talking about abundance (see title). This feels almost poppy at times with the bassline, synth, drums, and vocal sample all syncopating in interesting ways.
5. “Pthex” - 4:58 - Interesting melody and crazy drum skips and glitches. The broken up chords and synth give it a sort of melancholy vibe. I would play this one at the end of a show since it has a nice outro vibe.