|Add Date:||2019-01-01|| ||Pull Date:||2019-03-05|| |
|Week Ending:||13 Jan||6 Jan|
Understanding is the sixth solo release by Brooklyn musician Mirah. Folk pop with electronic elements a la Juana Molina. Stylish.|
Something else from the press release:
Understanding, Mirah’s 6th full length solo record, is a conscientious return to her early unconventional recording process — an embrace of spirited imperfection and rawness inclusive of rough first takes, natural room sounds, and a fair amount of broken equipment. For Understanding, Mirah teamed up with her frequent co-producer Eli Crews (tUnE-yArDs, The Julie Ruin, Son Lux) and invited Deerhoof’s Greg Saunier to join them in the studio. The collaboration sparked new textures and ideas. Building on top of Mirah’s vibrant original tracks, they used midi to transform a marimba into a distorted farfisa melody, drastically lowered the pitch of vocals until they morphed into sub-bass lines, and added layers of distinct timbres from Crews’ extensive vintage synth collection, a mellotron, and an 80’s era Soviet drum machine.
RIYL: Angel Olsen, Juana Molina, tUnE-yArDs, Cat Power and Dear Nora.
FCC WARNING: 6
Recommended Tracks: 3, 4, 6 [FCC], 7, 9, 10
1. Counting (2:51) – Slow tempo. Folk pop with synths I.
2. Information (3:49) – Slow/medium tempo. Folk music and electronic sounds.
3. *Lake/Ocean (2:44) – Slow tempo. Cool vocals, catchy synths.
4. ** Lighthouse (5:09) – Medium tempo recording. We have a single here. Great energy. Nice melody.
5. Blinded By The Pretty Light (3:42) – Slow tempo. Vocals and acoustic guitars.
6. *Ordinary Day [FCC: Fucked up] – (4:10). Slow /medium tempo. Dramatic. Interesting sounds.
7. *Hot Hot (4:08) – Slow/medium tempo recording. Interesting mix of electronic music, college pop rock and freak folk.
8. Love Jetty (3:24) – Slow tempo cut. Folk pop with synths II.
9. *Sundial (2:34) – Slow/medium tempo. Folk pop with synths III. Nice melody.
10. *Energy (5:50) – Slow tempo. More cool vocals, catchy synths. Dramatic ending.