|High On Fire / De Vermis Mysteriis|
|Add Date:||2012-05-19|| ||Pull Date:||2012-07-22|| ||Charts:||Loud|
|Week Ending:||15 Jul||8 Jul||1 Jul||10 Jun||3 Jun||27 May||20 May|
Matt Pike, former guitarist (and now current, with the reunion) of SLEEP, takes a more Celtic Frost / Motorhead / Black Sabbath approach to stoner metal in this band, and they pack quite a brutal punch. Pike does vocals too, and he sounds like he could drink and smoke Lemmy Kilmister under the table every night. This is great, sludgy roaring fun if you like Earthride, Eyehategod, Black Tusk, etc.|
1. (6:01) Dark menacing gallop. Lemmy wants to kill you!
2. (4:17) rumbling, chaotic rock’n’roll vitriol; ripping, bloody, almost thrash
3. (4:46) drums deliver a sharp attack; manic, abrasive rhythms to bash your face into a wall
4. (6:58) slow, raw rumbling feedback crescendos into some menacing doom, like Ramesses on steroids
5. (3:42)* mid-paced plodding doom metal INSTRUMENTAL with some searing guitar leads
6. (5:08)** jolting energy in this fast raging anthem, stoner metal at the speed of hardcore punk
7. (7:09) slowwww doomy dirge with some epic harmonies
8. (3:51) blistering, furious heaviness—this is the music the soundtrack to your fantasies of revenge on your middle school bullies. Raw and relentless with some sick guitar solos
9. (5:05)* thick-as-muck midpaced doom; music for weightlifting and overdosing on self-loathing
10. (5:27)** badass marching stomp, doom with some syncopation; even a long section with just drums+vox. Saint Vitus with anger issues.