|Foster, Chuck / Conscious Dub|
|Add Date:||2013-09-01|| ||Pull Date:||2013-11-03|| ||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||3 Nov||27 Oct||6 Oct||29 Sep||22 Sep||15 Sep||8 Sep|
Chuck Foster –Conscious Dub|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 9/1/13
Fine Roots Rock Reggae dubs from a longtime LA Reggae radio DJ (KPFK) and author. Turning his hand to dub production, he got some fine musicians together, and darned if it doesn’t rock pretty darn nicely. Definitely in the style of early dub like King Tubby, not electronic dub. All very worth playing, although mostly pretty similar in sound. It’s a good sound, though!
1. 4:13 ***slightly downtempo but jaunty boppy bubble.
2. 3:59 **boopy keyboard effects, slow one-drop with horns, with bits of Rock Steady bubble creeping in occasionally.
3. 4:04 ***midtempo Rock Steady, relaxed guitar and echo-laden snare.
4. 4:29 **tinkling piano intro, downtempo skank with variety of keyboards. Occasional Atari-like effects, but largely bass and drums.
5. 3:59 ***a bit downtempo but upbeat, a bit of Rock Steady feel, nice bounce, strong Reggae bass work. Lots of dubwub.
6. 4:00 ***slightly downtempo, mellow dub with melodica and trumpet.
7. 4:08 ***slightly downtempo bubble, a bit Rock Steady.
8. 3:42 **downtempo bubble, extremely relaxed Caribeachy vibe with bits of processed vocals.
9. 4:28 ***slow bubble, bit of melodica.
10. 4:29 ****downtempo skank with bits of electronics and processed vocals, stuttering guitar.
11. 4:13 **downtempo relaxed sway with a bit of wah wah scratch guitar.
12. 4:23 ****minor key midtempo bubble with farfisa. My likey.
13. 4:30 ***very slow, lots of echo, lots of different bits of instruments.
14. 4:34 ****downtempo but quite jolly one-drop. Boopy bass line.
15. 5:01 ***downtempo bubble, nice hip wiggler. Bit of bloopy stuff. Nice.
16. 4:51 ***slow, Nyahbinghi beat, “Chinese” tune, other minor-key stuff. Flute.