|Cables, George / Icons & Influences|
|Add Date:||2014-04-18|| ||Pull Date:||2014-06-20|| ||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||11 May||27 Apr||20 Apr|
Pianist Cables has been around for years and has played with and for some of the biggest names in the business. Here he pays tribute to such masters as Bill Evans, Dave Brubeck, Duke Ellington, and Cedar Walton. He also pays homage to vocalists such as Tony Bennett and Nat King Cole. This trio shines with lyrical, fluid arrangements, fun improvs, warm playing and lots of respect for those who came before. Straight up, top-notch jazz from a master.|
*1. Deliciously bopping midtempo groove. Hooks you in from the start
2. Slow and liquid ballad, picks up at 1:30 into nicely lively interplay.
*3. Bright and happy midtempo romp. Nice solos from all.
*4. As sophisticated as the Duke himself. Down/midtempo & light.
5. Slow, meandering Ellington tune w/some nice work from bassist.
*6. Tight perc intro to sweetly bopping keys. Mid/up & very nice.
7. Relaxed trio that interweaves into a tight midtempo mélange.
8. Slow piano trills, a down/mid sway with a light touch by all.
*9. Upbeat and bright w/a nicely insistent air & percussive rhythm.
*10. A classic ballad played with a gentle, sleepily romantic touch.
*11. Bright, upbeat, driving, nicely playful. Great work from all.
12. Slow, reflective piano solo on a warm love song. Sigh....