|Add Date:||2015-03-13|| ||Pull Date:||2015-05-15|| |
|Week Ending:||17 May||10 May||3 May||26 Apr||19 Apr||5 Apr||29 Mar||22 Mar|
5 AM/Lisa McClendon/BluSoul Music Entertainment Group|
Lisa Mcclendon's Neo soul style comes through loud and clear on her latest release entitled 5 AM. There seems to be a greater 60s/70s Motown influence on some songs than on her earlier projects. Her jazzy, raspy vocals are a combination of Chaka Khan and Lauryn Hill. This album picks up where her "Live from the House of Blues" left off and adds more funk and soul. No FCCs. Favorite tracks 2,3,4. Review by Kesha of LJH.
1) 3:29 - medium tempo groove with a hook in inspired by The Delfonics famous song "La La La means I love you." Nice horn solo interlude in the middle of the song.
**2) 4:29 - From the scratchy record intro and the sample this is an ode to the great Motown sound, complete with the "ooo"s from the background vocalists. Slow/med 70s style ballad.
*3) 3:51 - nice acoustic guitar dominated soulful and slight Latin feel. Nice breakdown points with less instrumentation.
**4) 3:29 - slight island/reggae feel. Still keeps the soulful, Motown accents.
5) 5:04 - jazzy ballad with Lisa's vocals on display.
6) 4:52 - a dramatic ballad that swells and gets more emotional as it progresses.
*7) 3:11 - Fun, upbeat groove, nice guitar riffs. A bit of scratchin' in the background.
8) 4:28 - piano, guitar, ballad almost sounds like a live outdoor performance.
9) 4:01 - faster than most songs on the cd. Driving beat with some scratching in the background. Guest vocals by Sean Johnson. McClendon sings and raps on this one.
10) 3:59 - the title track. Nice soulful ballad in same vein as tracks 1&2. Classic McClendon.
11) 6:12 - slow ballad. Her own rendition of classic praise song - not much interesting about it until a slight breakdown mid - way through the song.
12) 3:58 - guitar heavy, funk inspired piece. A little Grungy with a soul twist. Med- tempo.