|Mitski / Bury Me At Makeout Creek|
|Add Date:||2015-04-24|| ||Pull Date:||2015-06-26|| |
|Week Ending:||21 Jun||14 Jun||7 Jun||31 May||24 May||17 May||10 May||3 May|
Genre: indie rock, lo-fi confessionals|
Wonderfully intimate indie rock. Even on the first listen I felt Mitski’s voice sneak its way into my mind. Sometimes you want experimentation in your music. Sometimes you want familiarity. But, more often than not, you’re searching for authenticity. Pick up this CD. Put it in the tray. The search is over.
Others: Angel Olsen, Waxahatchee, angsty Meowcore, Speedy Ortiz, Juno
Favorites: 2, 1, 3, 4, 8, 9, 6 10. FCC: 7
1. (2:12) *** Gentle acoustic guitar, beautiful warbled vocals. Little accordion embellishment. Out of nowhere gets loud and pounding in the best most invigorating way.
2. (3:25) **** The single. Awesome detailed lyrics with an uptempo retro feel to the instrumental. Wacky synthesizer near the end because why the hell not.
3. (4:39) *** Simple, bare bass guitar pattern. More restrained, gorgeous vocals. Dreamy, melodic...A+.
4. (2:30) *** Dark, confessional. Relatable song that takes despair and makes beautiful music out of it
5. (3:19) Distorted electric guitar. Drum machine builds up a little groove. More sedate than the other tracks but still great.
6. (2:08) ** Mid. Classic slacker rock feel.
7. (2:35) FCC. Lo-fi simple drum beat. Gets martial. “Fuck you and your money”. Awesome.
8. (2:55) *** Driving rhythm section...little synth flourishes. High, emotional vocals.
9. (3:54) *** Slow. Nighttime. Touching. Second half builds into a triumphant rocker.
10. (2:44) ** Rain recording, lilting acoustic guitar. Stripped down closer.