|Frankie Cosmos / Next Thing|
|Add Date:||2016-04-25|| ||Pull Date:||2016-06-26|| |
|Week Ending:||26 Jun||12 Jun||29 May||22 May||15 May||8 May||1 May|
riyl: porches, angel olsen, tennis, tacocat|
greta kline a.k.a. frankie cosmos a.k.a. ingrid superstar is a certified d.i.y. new york city slug with a superb ability to craft deeply fulfilling three chord melodies. these are all really nice pop songs from sad girl bummertown, and her second official release on an actual label to follow feburary’s listenable “fit me in” ep where she very tried her hand at synth-pop and sounded a lot like her bff ronnie from porches. all of the songs on “next thing” come from copious solo IPhone recordings on her ingrid superstar bandcamp, but are renamed and given a pop-y band to pep them up. i prefer the bandcamp renditions, but then again i also prefer angel olsen’s first record, so don’t trust me on that one. she has a beautiful voice that feels effortless and unrefined and is sometimes pitchy, which keeps the sound feeling raw and d.i.y. don’t let her pretty voice and cute sound fool you—when she is not singing about her dog, frankie cosmos can be sinister. the lyrics are clever and have plenty of nyc slug bad-attitude to make this a pop record worth your time. FCC’s on 6, 10, and 11.
1. (1:22) floated in- pretty regular pop song
2. (1:29) if i had a dog– a song about being sad about a dog. it gets sinister later i promise
3. (2:04) fool- a nice tune about not getting along with someone she thought she liked
4. (1:49) embody- real happy tune about having friends
5. *(2:44) too dark- minimal tune, falsetto-ish vocals, sound fills out in the last minute
6. FCC (1:25) tour good- slowie for the first half then picks up then slowie again
7. (0:45) interlude- ronnie is the guy from porches, fyi. i asked her. i haven’t figured out who jojo is yet.
8. (1:37) i’m 20- “i’d sell my soul for a free pen/on it the name of your corporation” does anyone want to do a punk cover of this one lmk
9. *(1:49) on the lips- three chords, nice harmony
10. FCC (2:11) sinister- very pop, “surprisingly dark”
11. FCC (2:30) is it possible/sleep song- upbeat first half, slowie second half, scathing ending: “goodbye forever, what the fuck?” punk cover anyone?
12. (2:34) outside with the cuties- very minimal slowie track, some fun aquatic synth towards the end
13. (1:53) sappho- fragments are fun. this track follows line on track 12 nicely, “haven’t written this part yet, would you help me fix it?”
14. (2:22) what if- nice tune from a nice girl
15. (2:00) o dreaded c town- very minimal synth slowie