|Craft, Kyle / Dolls Of Highland|
|Add Date:||2016-12-21|| ||Pull Date:||2017-02-22|| |
|Week Ending:||19 Feb||12 Feb||5 Feb||29 Jan||22 Jan||15 Jan||8 Jan||1 Jan|
“Dolls of Highland” Kyle Craft|
Theatrical glam rock with hints of goth, alternative and even Southern rock. Confident and well crafted (pun intended). Remarkable debut for a 27-year-old, self-made singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist originally from Louisiana, but now residing in Portland, Oregon. Craft played most of the instruments on the album himself. In-your-face rock ‘n’ roll with powerhouse vocals. RIYL: Queen, Bowie, Big Star.
Recommended: 4, 5, 1, 9, 3, 8. FCC on Track 7.
1. (4:31) Eye of a Hurricane – Barrelhouse piano. Angular guitar. Full-throated vocals. Warren Zevon “Ow - ooohs!” in several places. ****
2. (3:01) Balmorhea – Southern rock. Deliberate tempo. Harmonica flourishes.
3. (4:17) Berlin – Bass- and rhythm-driven rock ‘n’ roll about a pole dancer named Berlin. Organ and tinkling piano. Hooky chorus. ***
4. (5:06) Lady of the Ark – 1960s-style “Be My Baby” rhythm track with reverbed tambourine. Cool bass line. Accordion solo in lead break. ****
5. (4:49) Gloom Girl – Another highlight. 1970s brass trappings throughout. Catchy chorus with Craft’s tenor soaring skyward. A timeless rock song. ****
6. (2:10) Trinidad Beach (Before I Ride) — Short hazy ballad with prog-rock undertones.
7. (3:07) Future Midcity Massacre – Acoustic-backed Southern rock with strong backbeat, organ and carnival-barker vocals. FCC: “fuck.”
8. (3:36) Black Mary – Straight-ahead glam rock. Sounds like it could be from a Broadway show. **
9. (4:01) Pentecost – Organ. Strong bass line. Strummed acoustic guitar. Squeezed vocals in high ranges. Builds in intensity, with edgy electric guitar in lead break. ***
10. (1:27) Dolls of Highland – Very short mid-tempo tune. Circus-like piano. Melodic tune.
11. (4:23) Jane Beat the Reaper – Another show-tune performance. Organ prominent, together with old-fashioned barroom piano.
12. (4:02) Three Candles – Harmonica-flavored, mellow closer. Acoustic guitar. A nice lilt to Craft’s big vocals.