|Flaming Lips, The / Oczy Mlody|
|Add Date:||2017-02-22|| ||Pull Date:||2017-04-26|| |
|Week Ending:||16 Apr||9 Apr||2 Apr||26 Mar||19 Mar||12 Mar||5 Mar||26 Feb|
Oczy Mlody is the fourteenth studio album by the legendary Oklahoma City, Oklahoma band The Flaming Lips. Oczy Mlod navigates between two very opposite elements: ambient sounds and R&B and Hip-hop influenced beats and rhythmic structures resulting in some disparate sonic tension. On many tracks, the vocals channel the quality and melancholy found in their 2002 record, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. Also, Oczy Mlody is mostly constructed with synths and computer generated sounds and effects. I feel the band will become an electronic entity any day now. Technicolor journeys for everyone. |
RIYL: The Flaming Lips!
FCC WARNING: 2, 3, 4
Recommended Tracks: 1, 3 (FCC), 4 (FCC), 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12
1. (2:54) *Oczy Mlody – Instrumental intro track. In the tradition of Warp Records late 1990s ambient pieces. Track 1 and 2 are connected.
2. (4:25) How?? – FCC (Motherfucking, fuck). Same instrumentation as previous track but with vocals. By minute 2:57, song gets faster in tempo and sonic intensity.
3. (5:50) **There Should Be Unicorns [Feat. Reggie Watts] – FCC (Shit, Shitty). Dense synth sounds and beats. Great vocals and keyboard riff. Strange spoken word intervention. Enthralling piece.
4. (4:05) **Sunrise (Eyes Of The Young) – FCC (Fucking). Outstanding return to the Yoshimi period. Great melody and more interesting synth based sounds and beats.
5. (4:10) Nigdy Nie (Never No) – Instrumental track heavily influenced by contemporary hip-hop rhythmic structures. By minute 2:20, track gets upbeat and quite psychedelic.
6. (3:57) *Galaxy I Sink – The Lips in a calm, Morr Music inspired electronic kind of moment. Ambient-pop.
7. (6:08) **One Night While Hunting For Faeries And Witches And Wizards To Kill – Sinister electro pop a la Lips. Beat takes off at 1:40. Haunting.
8. (4:18) **Do Glowy – The Lips go back to their post-punk/gothic roots using only synths and programmed beats. Distorted vocals. Intense.
9. (7:35) Listening To The Frogs With Demon Eyes – Psych rock ballad a la Lips.
10. (4:51) ***The Castle – Stunning piece mixing hip-hop beats, dramatic sounds, and a melancholic melody reminiscent of the Yoshimi period. My favorite track on the LP.
11. (4:54) Almost Home (Blisko Domu) – Electro pop a la Lips part II. Slows tempo by 2:09. It almost becomes a different track. Weird pop.
12. (4:45) *We A Famly [Feat. Miley Cyrus] – Psych rock ballad a la Lips part II. Pop goes the world.