|Moon Duo / Occult Architecture Vol. 1|
|Add Date:||2017-02-08|| ||Pull Date:||2017-04-12|| |
|Week Ending:||16 Apr||9 Apr||2 Apr||26 Mar||19 Mar||12 Mar||5 Mar||26 Feb|
Stellar new record from this Wooden Shjips offshoot. Ripley Johnson contributes vocals and guitars, and Sanae Yamada rounds out the duo on keyboards. Here they continue their extended, droning psych jams, this time inspired by notions of magick, the occult, and the yin/yang.|
Related: Wooden Shjips, Lumerians, The Black Angels
1. (6:37) *** The Death Set—Dreamy, out of this world. Cool spacey outro with spoken word and a four-on-the-floor beat.
2. (4:53) *** Cold Fear—Slow-burning, effects-laden guitars. Sweet wah effect kicks in later and the track gets more cosmic.
3. (4:14) **** Creepin’—Fast and propulsive with some electronic keys, very Wooden Shjips.
4. (7:45) *** Cross-Town Fade—Aquatic to start. Extremely driving percussive textures and layered vocals. Gets clearer later on and concludes with bright synths.
5. (7:24) **** Cult of Moloch—Dense, grinding with gorgeous warbling guitars. In love.
6. (5:38) **** Will of the Devil—Echoes of first wave psych. Plodding, ominous, with a buried improvisational guitar line that starts about midway and continues until the end.
7. (10:29) *** White Rose—Heavy fuzzed-out guitars and a steady forward motion. Some piano and distorted soloing. Four minute sparse breakdown into a steady drumbeat and piano.