|Chicano Batman / Freedom Is Free|
|Add Date:||2018-03-26|| ||Pull Date:||2018-05-28|| |
|Week Ending:||27 May||20 May||13 May||6 May||29 Apr||22 Apr||15 Apr||8 Apr|
Freedom Is Free is the third release by Los Angeles band Chicano Batman. Los Batman continue exploring their fascination with old 1970s music sounds particularly the mythical psychedelic pop bolero style popular in Latino America and United States decades ago and disseminated by legendary bands such as Los Pasteles Verdes, Los Bukis, and Los Angeles Negros, among others. However, contrary to those bands, Chicano Batman doesn’t just write love ballads but more like existential poems reflecting on their own cultural and social identities. You can sense this in the tone of Freedom Is Free that is more reflective and sometimes collected than previous recordings. Despite that, Freedom Is Free is not an insipid record but rather a well-crafted collection of Californian psych rock songs that lyrically and conceptually are closer to albums like Marvin Gaye’s 1971 LP,What's Going On or Aretha Franklin’s 1972 LP, Young, Gifted And Black.|
RIYL: Allah-Las, Cuco, Shannon And The Clams, The Chamanas and Lake Of Fire.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12
1. (3:28) *** Passed You By – Medium tempo early 1970s influenced guitar-driven recording. Think classic rock meets Yacht rock with a 21st century psychedelic twist. Catchy.
2. (3:14) ** Friendship (Is a Small Boat in a Storm) – Medium-up tempo track riff, female vocals chorus, soft vocals. Makes me think of pre-disco Motown Records singles.
3. (3:19) ** Angel Child – Medium/Medium-up tempo. Rock ballad with melodic jazzy vocals, psychedelic guitars and drastic rhythmic changes. 1970s AM radio meets contemporary psych rock.
4. (4:04) * Freedom Is Free – Groovy bass line, more soft vocals. Medium-up tempo. It could have been part of any late 1970s Boz Scaggs records.
5. (1:19) La Jura (Prelude) – Guitar driven instrumental piece. Slow. Partially acoustic. Interlude to next rack.
6. (3:58) ** La Jura – Medium tempo rock ballad. In the tradition of 1970s Latino American psychedelic pop bolero. Organ riff, soft vocals, long guitar solos. In Spanish. Interesting track.
7. (2:40) ** Flecha Al Sol – GUpbeat psychedelic pop recording. Nice vocal melody. Trippy lyrics. In Spanish.
8. (3:38) Jealousy – Another mediumtempo groovy psychedelic pop composition. Synth/organ driven.
9. (1:19) * Right Off the Back – Medium-up tempo instrumental rock jam. 1970s music forever.
10. (4:48) Run – Slow tempo psychedelic pop ballad. Think 1970s AM rock radio.
11. (5:28) * The Taker Story – Medium tempo track. Funky vibe. Part spoken word, part protest song. Early 1970s influenced (think Southern California music).
12. (2:29) * Area C – Slow instrumental recording. Acoustic/electric guitars and organ sounds. Striking.