|Add Date:||2017-07-20|| ||Pull Date:||2017-09-21|| |
|Week Ending:||20 Aug||13 Aug||6 Aug||30 Jul|
Halo is the seventh released by Argentinian multidisciplinary artist Juana Molina. KZSU alum DJ Away defined her music as “bladerunnercore-folk-pop” and it couldn’t be more accurate. Halo’s mightiest accomplishment is its deep literary content. It feels more like a musicalized underground comic book narrated at the speed of an audio book. Molina has tried in previous recordings to develop a lyrical narrative as strong as her musical accomplishments but it’s not until now that her dark humor, word play, and short story style reached the quality of her sounds. Despite the bare bones record sleeve and liner notes, these skeletons are wrapped with layers and layers of melodies, meanings, sounds, and enigmas all ready to enchant those who encounter them. A marvelous mature work. One of my favorite albums of 2017. Estrategia zaparrastro para encantar curiosos.|
RIYL: Deerhoof, Bjork, Moon Glyph, Lisa Germano and Animal Collective.
Recommended Tracks: 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11
1. (3:44) Paraguaya – Slow tempo. Traditional Juan Molina sound.
2. (5:41) ***Sin dones– Ambitious recording with unexpected change of rhythm. Mysterious.
3. (5:24) Lentísimo halo – Slow tempo. Whispers. Some old memories.
4. (4:39) *In the lassa – Medium tempo. Organic/artificial sounds? Tribal? Epidermis music meets dream state recordings.
5. (4:58) **Cosoco – Rock music a la Juan Molina. Agile movements, fragile instruments. Medium tempo.
6. (4:47) Cálculos y oráculos – Calm, almost ambient.
7. (5:23) **Los pies helados – This could be a single. Slow tempo. Appealing sounds. Like old Juana Molina recordings.
8. (4:30) **A00 B01 – Synths sounds and constantly disappearing medium tempo beats. Peculiar singing. Absorbing.
9. (5:03) **Cara de espejo – Medium-up tempo. Rock music a la Juan Molina part 2. Totally playable.
10. (3:50) Andó – Experimental pop. Ambient sounds, weird vocals. Almost a dream.
11. (4:53) **Estalacticas – Medium-up tempo track. Rock music a la Juan Molina part 3. Nice guitar and synth riffs. More strange sounds and vocals. Solid.
12. (3:38) Al oeste – Pop music a la Juan Molina. Slow tempo. Gentle.