|Holter, Julia / In The Same Room|
|Add Date:||2017-05-10|| ||Pull Date:||2017-07-12|| |
|Week Ending:||28 May||21 May||14 May|
Cinematic jazz-pop with ambient leanings. Live studio session of Julia Holter and co., with tracks containing a strong representation from her previous excellent full-length, Have You in My Wilderness. It doesn’t seem to deviate too much from the album recordings, which is a testament to how great she and her band are at recreating their music live. Highly recommend seeing them if you get the chance.|
Related: Julianna Barwick, Joanna Newsom, ambient pop
1. (4:36) ** Horns Surrounding Me—Slow, melancholy. Rich horns and nostalgic strings.
2. (4:11) So Lillies—Erratic. Spoken word vox, deep strings. Midway shifts to a grander baroque pop style.
3. (4:57) ** Silhouette—Gentle, optimistic, bit more folky. Piano bridge leads to a heady outro.
4. (4:02) How Long?—Calm, droney, like Julianna Barwick.
5. (4:05) *** Feel You—Lush, joyous. Tight bass.
6. (7:07) *** Lucette Stranded on the Island—Cosmic, really lovely. Jazzy piano and patient instrumental builds.
7. (4:04) ** In the Green Wild—Bass and whimsical spoken word intro, then gorgeous dreamy pop until the end.
8. (7:42) ** City Appearing—Slow, somber, builds to an intense vocal-driven finish.
9. (8:40) *** Vasquez—Trip-hop inspired. Moves in its own way.
10. (6:35) *** (6:35) Betsy on the Roof—Dense, slow-burning, anguished epic.
11. (3:26) *** Sea Calls Me Home—Uplifting, energetic pop. “I can’t swim, it’s lucidity, so clear”