“In Dreams” Night Talks|
L.A.-based indie alt-rock band that brings a fresh sound to the SoCal music scene. There’s a lot to like here. Lead singer Soraya Sebghati’s vocals alternate between angelic and edgy a la Evanescence. She’s backed by a solid band composed of Jacob Butler (guitar), Josh Arteaga (bass) and brother, Cris Arteaga (drums). Synth woven throughout gives the songs a contemporary feel. Some really solid tracks.
Recommended: 5, 3, 6, 11, 7, 2. No FCCs detected.
1. (3:21) 4x4 — Up-tempo, hooky pop-rock with a driving beat and mid-range female vocals that soar in the choruses. Nice lead guitar in break.
2. (3:59) Green — Hypnotizing synth-rock ballad. Pulsing synths with a deliberate beat. Emotive lead vocals that rise and fall. ***
3. (4:19) Black and Blue — Playful synth-pop melody with a stop ‘n’ go beat and captivating lyrics. Female lead vocals with more noticeable male harmonies. ***
4. (3:24) Drift — Bell-like synths. Mid-tempo with lots of energy, solid backbeat, jazzy bass, and shimmering, swirling guitars and synth chords. More delicate vocals.
5. (3:55) Mr. Bloom — Explosive, driving alt-rock features a sterling vocal performance by Sebghati. Edgy guitar and uplifting chorus. Best single. ****
6. (4:16) Glass — Dreamy synth-pop with glistening guitar chords and spell-binding vocals. Big, crying electric guitar in lead break. ***
7. (3:16) Jungle — Ominous-sounding tune with almost theatrical synth-backing at times — plus rock choruses. ***
8. (4:15) Eye to Eye — Bluesier and swingier. Liquid vocals that slide down easily.
9. (4:34) If I Fall — Straight-ahead, guitar-driven rock with a bit of a jangle.
10. (3:59) Cutting Through — Catchy pop-rock melody with lots of changes in dynamics. Tumbling tom-toms. Builds to a big, driving ending.
11. (6:14) In Dreams — Gentle, swaying synth-pop ballad with angelic, pensive vocals. Rich harmonies in the chorus. Builds throughout to support more pleading edge. Eases off again at end. Nice! ***