Dream pop stalwarts gift us with some B-sides, rarities, and remixes from the past decade. Lush tracks, mostly organ, guitar, drum machine anchored by Victoria Legrand’s full and enigmatic vox. Nice balance between Beach House’s present grandeur and the early lo-fi charm. Highly recommended.|
Related: Grizzly Bear, Atlas Sound, Foxes in Fiction, Julia Holter
Favorites: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10
1. (5:16) ** Chariot—Glowing organ, lush calm atmosphere, strong commanding vox. Bass kicks in slowly. Watch for the classic Scally guitar solo!
2. (3:02) * Baby—From 2009. Raw guitar and organ in a spare arrangement. This takes me back...
3. (3:42) ** Equal Mind—Joyous shining organ and found sounds. Strong guitar solo. Deep bass and piano finish things off exultantly.
4. (4:05) Used to Be (2008 Single Version)—Echoey, erratic pop. Charming. The more filled-out album version works better, imo.
5. (4:07) * White Moon (iTunes Session Remix)—Soft chiming organ, tambourine, guitar. Full vox.
6. (4:36) ** Baseball Diamond—Lo-fi bedroom pop. Lilting strains of guitar and organ weave through. Slow, hazy vox.
7. (3:16) Norway (iTunes Session Remix)—Eerie, sorrowful. Strong drum machine and chiming guitar. Fuller sound towards end.
8. (4:18) * Play the Game—Queen cover. Dreamy, softly swaying. Mostly vox, shakers, some guitar. Voice goes to amazing heights here.
9. (5:04) ** The Arrangement—Ringing, joyous piano and soaring vox. Guitars come in and switch off in prominence with piano. Last 1.5 mins are killer, gets very Julia Holter.
10. (4:30) * Saturn Song—Slow & spacious vox, synths, organ. Field recordings from outer space.
11. (2:26) Rain in Numbers—Vox sound different, might be Scally. Overall doleful and lo-fi, just vox and piano that sounds like it’s riffing off of “Yellow” by Coldplay :O
12. (3:11) I Do Not Care for the Winter Sun—Full, lonesome vox. Strummed guitar and gliding piano.
13. (5:30) 10 Mile Stereo (Cough Syrup Remix)—Plodding, weighty track. Distant and expansive vox.
14. (3:26) Wherever You Go—Mid-tempo, lo-fi, world-weary pop. Sounds like something off of Devotion.