|Hoop, Jesca / Memories Are Now|
|Add Date:||2017-10-03|| ||Pull Date:||2017-12-05|| |
|Week Ending:||3 Dec||5 Nov||22 Oct||15 Oct||8 Oct|
“Memories are Now” Jesca Hoop|
Jesca Hoop grew up as the daughter of musical Mormons and she served a long stint as nanny to Tom Waits' kids. Her unusual backstory brought critical attention to her albums, and put her consistently on the verge of a breakthrough. She has released a slew of albums throughout the 00’s, and released this album, Memories Are Now, after signing with the label Sub Pop. This album is an eclectic mix of genres ranging from alt rock to country, and mixing moments of acoustic sounds and eclectic feel using synthetic tones.
Recommended: 1, 2, 6. No FCCs.
1) ** (4:23) Memories Are Now – medium tempo under airy vocals, gradually layers female vocals, beat stays consistent but changes to more synthesized
2) * (3:51) The Lost Sky – medium tempo guitar, low female vocal with indie sound, picks up towards the end
3) (3:45) Animal Kingdom Chaotic – slow to mid tempo, mellow synth guitar with country female vocals, transitions from slow dreamy melody to harmony of female vocals
4) (3:19) Simon Says – mid tempo opening with a country, twangy feel and nice harmonies, slow ending with dreamy sliding notes in the background
5) (5:51) Cut Connection – more alt rock feel with contrasting slow indie vocals, builds into an eerie chant with strong drum beats
6) * (4:43) Songs of Old – slow guitar start with clean female vocals, slow melodic chorus tells a nice story, shows off the vocalists range from low drawn out notes to high floating notes
7) (4:43) Unsaid – mid tempo quiet female soloist, drum beat comes in and propels the song over breaks of softer vocals
8) (3:34) Pegasi – mid tempo female solo with country feel, great lyrics and nice melody with some surprising synth moments
9) (5:56) The Coming – long intro with various instruments at random intervals, low female vocalist, song picks up in an emotional way with a nice decrescendo to the end