|Breeders, The / All Nerve|
|Add Date:||2018-03-06|| ||Pull Date:||2018-05-08|| |
|Week Ending:||6 May||29 Apr||22 Apr||15 Apr||8 Apr||1 Apr||25 Mar||11 Mar|
All Nerve is the fifth long play recording by legendary alternative (when the word alternative meant something) band The Breeders. The “Last Splash” Breeders incarnation is all back together here and it sounds like, despite a quarter century has passed, the “Divine Hammer/Do You Love Me Now?” vibe is here. But needless to say, it has a more serene and contemplative tone similar to The Breeders' two recent recordings, 2008’s Mountain Battles LP and 2009’s Fate to Fatal EP. Nonetheless, all The Breeders trademarks are here: killer guitar work, slow/vivid rhythmic changes, long sonic pauses, and the classic Kim Deal melodic structure – mixing dramatics and playfulness only as she knows how. One of my contenders for best album of 2018.|
RIYL: R. Ring, Pixies, The Kelley Deal 6000, The Amps, and Throwing Muses.
FCC WARNING: 11
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10
1. (2:29) ***Nervous Mary – Slow/medium-up tempo. Classic Breeders quiet intro that builds up after first 30 seconds. Great guitar riff. Too short.
2. (2:03) ***Wait in the Car – The most upbeat track on the album. Perfect for first single. The Breeders sounding like The Breeders. Killer!
3. (2:11) All Nerve – Slow/medium tempo recording a la Breeders. Think Safari EP.
4. (3:09) ***MetaGoth – Medium-up tempo guitar driven instant classic. My favorite track on the album.
5. (4:22) * Spacewoman – Slow/medium-up tempo track. Classic Breeders sound.
6. (3:45) Walking with a Killer – Slow tempo recording. Breeders a la Johnny Cash. Dense.
7. (2:57) Howl at the Summit – Medium-up tempo. Think Pod period. Interesting guitar work.
8. (3:26) ** Archangel's Thunderbird – Medium-up tempo rocker. Kinda 1970s rock vibe. Solid.
9. (3:50) * Dawn: Making an Effort – Slow build up. Memorable melody and guitars. The connection to the Mountain Battles album.
10. (2:45) Skinhead #2 – Medium tempo recording. A la Last Splash.
11. (2:57) Blues at the Acropolis – FCC [Piss]. Slow/medium tempo track. Lingering guitar riff.