|Mint Field / Pasar De Las Luces|
|Add Date:||2018-03-06|| ||Pull Date:||2018-05-08|| |
|Week Ending:||11 Mar|
Pasar De Las Luces is the long-awaited debut album by Tijuana, Mexico duo Mint Field. After the departure of one of their original members, change of labels, several singles releases, and successful appearances from big festivals to small venues, Mint Field allowed themselves not to rush to the studio after the release of their breakthrough EP a couple of years ago. They slowly put together a solid and very impressive set of songs that meticulously combines elements of ethereal and soft-spoken vocals, entrancing reverb-soaked guitars, and atmospheric soundscapes driven by slow to medium-up tempos all wrapped up in a melancholic tone closer to poetry than to music. Highly recommended. On my best of 2018.|
Something else from the press release:
Their new record, Pasar De Las Luces, first for LA-based Innovative Leisure Records, is “a compilation of our lives from two years ago to now” says the band. Since recording an initial EP in 2015 in their hometown of Tijuana, Mint Field have played Coachella, SXSW and have extensively toured the US and Mexico. In the summer of 2017 the band traveled to Detroit to record with producer Christopher Koltay. “We had a much clearer idea of what we wanted and we had the tools to make it. When we recorded [our debut EP] Primeras Salidas, it was a homemade album and we didn’t know what we were doing.” This time, they managed to channel their inspirations and influences to transmit sentiments of profound sorrow, nostalgia and immaculate beauty...revisiting sounds from the past to make them contemporary.
RIYL: Chasms, Holy Motors, Dear Eloise, Lorelle Meets The Obsolete, and Slowdive.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 9, 11, 12
1. (3:41) ** El Parque Parecía No Tener Fin – Slow intro. Spoken word, ghostly guitar riff, medium tempo. Peaceful mood.
2. (5:28) * Ojos En El Carro – Slow tempo. Shoegaze meets slowcore.
3. (6:16) ** Ciudad Satélite – Another slow tempo atmospheric piece with shoegaze guitars a la Adorable.
4. (5:42) Temporada De Jacarandas – Part ambient, part slowcore. Builds up really slowly. Long guitar solo.
5. (4:51) *** Quiero Otoño De Nuevo – Medium-up tempo recording. Post-punk energy and memorable melody.
6. (3:26) ** Cambios Del Pasar – Slow tempo. Part Cherry Red Records, part early 4AD. Great guitars.
7. (3:45) Viceversa – Another slow tempo recording. Starts slowcore, ends shoegaze.
8. (2:08) Nostalgia – Atmospheric, almost ambient. Intense.
9. (6:16) ** Boötes Void – Medium tempo track. Think Adorable guitar distortions meets Cocteau Twins vocals. Lots of details and moments.
10. (6:32) Nada Es Estático Y Evoluciona – Slow/medium tempo recording. Slow build up. Dense and dramatic.
11. (5:19) ** Club De Chicas – Slow/fast tempo. Begins calm but takes off by minute: 51. Slows again and takes off again. Roller coaster intensity.
12. (4:43) *** Para Gali – Medium-up tempo dream pop track. Closer to the sound of their debut EP. Solid.
13. (6:06) Párpados Morados – Slow tempo. Shoegaze meets slowcore part III. Nice ending.