|Decemberists, The / I'll Be Your Girl|
|Add Date:||2018-07-04|| ||Pull Date:||2018-09-05|| |
|Week Ending:||2 Sep||26 Aug||19 Aug||12 Aug||5 Aug||29 Jul||22 Jul||15 Jul|
I'll Be Your Girl is the eighth studio album by Portland, Oregon quintet, The Decemberists. Similar to Destroyer, The Decemberists have injected electronic beats and synths to their folk rock compositions, giving them a very 1980s MTV rock effect that might sound unnecessary but works in large part due to the dramatic pop sensibilities of the band and memorable songwriting. Also the electronic sounds and the beats give their music a very welcome sonic twist at this stage of their career. This is one of the most interesting albums The Decemberists have ever produced. |
RIYL: Destroyer, Wilco, Death Cab for Cutie, Bright Eyes and The National.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9
1. (5:09) ****Once In My Life – Slow/medium tempo. Intense indie power ballad; honest and direct.
2. (3:20) *Cutting Stone – Slow/medium tempo. Another appealing folk rock track. Nice use of synths.
3. (4:03) **Severed – Medium tempo. Synth/guitar driven recording. Amusing.
4. (2:39) **Starwatcher – Slow/medium-up tempo. Acoustic guitars, passionate vocals, then a tribal beat surrounded with synth sounds and cool effects.
5. (3:35) Tripping Along – Slow tempo. Balladesque piece.
6. (2:40) *Your Ghost – Medium-up tempo track. Intense vocals and chorus. Reminds me of late 1970s rock opera tunes.
7. (3:22) Everything Is Awful – Slow/medium tempo. This one also has the energy of a musical piece. As contemporary as it gets.
8. (3:28) Sucker's Prayer – Slow/medium tempo. This sounds like classic Decemberists. I dig the 1970s guitar solo.
9. (4:01) **We All Die Young – Medium-up tempo. Very 1970s glam rock – think T. Rex. Cool beat. Unforgettable vocals/chorus. Sax solo included.
10. (8:15) Rusalka, Rusalka / Wild Rushes – Slow/medium tempo. Folk rock a la 1970s. Dense track.
11. (2:34) I'll Be Your Girl – Slow tempo. Another balladesque piece.