|Various Artists / Estúpidos Phantasmas|
|Add Date:||2018-05-21|| ||Pull Date:||2018-07-23|| |
|Week Ending:||15 Jul||8 Jul||1 Jul||24 Jun||17 Jun||10 Jun||3 Jun||27 May|
Estúpidos Phantasmas is part one of a two-part compilation released by Cuernavaca, Mexico label Anhedonia Records and Mexico City label Stupid Decisions. Released for Mexico’s Record Store Day 2018, Estúpidos Phantasmas is not a label sampler but rather a compilation featuring darkwave, screamo rock, and lo-fi pop underground bands and projects from Mexico, Argentina, Chile, and the United States. Brief and effective.|
RIYL: The collection Burger World: Mexico, the collection We Jam By Condos, the Abstrakt Muzak Compilacion series, the compilation Our Voltage, and the collection Sick Boyz.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8
1. (7:02) ***Que Termine El Verano, No Me Gustan Las Abejas by Parque De Cometas – Killer recording - part post-punk, part darkwave. Slow build-up. Fast beat. Instrumental. From Tijuana.
2. (3:49) **Obra Negra by Turbonada – Another solid darkwave piece. Nice guitars. Gloomy. Upbeat. Instrumental. From Cuernavaca.
3. (2:42) *1959 by B301– Screamo math rock medium-up tempo track. With incomprehensible lyrics. Current. From Naucalpan, Mexico.
4. (1:11) Beams by Nancy Strong – Bedroom pop a la Ariel Pink. Medium tempo. From Colorado.
5. (3:18) ***Pay My Rent by Schnupp & The Pups – Lo-fi pop with nice guitar/vocal distortions and gibberish vocals. Upbeat. By minute 2:26 song abruptly ends but a drum beat continues with some synth sounds and an appropriated movie/T.V.? dialogue. Track fades away at the end. From Seattle.
6. (2:25) ***Todos Nos Estamos Pudriendo by Heterofobia – Doom post-punk with startling vocals. Medium-up beat. From Monterrey, Mexico.
7. (2:07) ** Vencido by Lutos – Another great doom post-punk track. From Buenos Aires, Argentina.
8. (4:41) **Harakiri by Club De Surf – Psych folk soaked in mid 1990s Alternative rock. Video is a must-see piece of art. From Santiago de Chile.