|Add Date:||2018-09-09|| ||Pull Date:||2018-11-11|| ||Charts:||Hip-Hop|
|Week Ending:||4 Nov||28 Oct||14 Oct||16 Sep|
Del the Funky Homosapien & Amp Live - Gate 13|
Reviewed by Chano
Bay Area/Oakland legends Del the Funky Homosapien (rapper) and Amp Live (producer) team up on this fantastic collaboration. The beats really stand out - very atmospheric and funky at the same time; production is excellent and Del’s raps are also great. Play some of these cuts! Very fun to listen to. Also they’re from the Bay!
FCCs: None! They’re all edited out. Clean version :)
Favorites: 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 14,
RIYL: Dr. Octagon, Deltron 3030, Chance the Rapper, Tyler the Creator
1. “Attention (Intro) (dirty)” - 1:30 - says “dirty” so not FCC friendly. Plus it’s an intro.
2. “Wheel of Fortune” - 2:56 - first min has driving beat and Del rapping, then breaks down into dub beat;
3. “The Glow” - 4:14 - midtempo beat, dramatic vibe, Del’s rhymes criticizing rappers who front through the lens of framing them as being pimped by the industry/bandwagons/etc.
4. “Gravy Train” - 2:46 - Funky bassline drives the beat forward with guitar sample chop coming in as interesting counterpoint. Beat morphs in interesting ways throughout. Great track.
5. “Funkrolla 3.0” - 1:26 - Funky interlude criticizing fake rappers.
6. “Run Free feat. Simmi” - 4:43 - Hard boom bap beat starts it off; chopped keys and flute samples; very funky and fun; Simmi’s vocals compliment the beat nicely and are nice to hear to break up the rapping. Beat morphs again nicely about 3min becoming uptempo and nice synth bassline comes in. Long fade out (45sec of sounds and then interlude-type skit of a doctor operating on a patient)
7. “Help feat. Adult Karate” - 3:22 - Vocal samples starts it off giving it a dramatic vibe. Midtempo/slower beat with piano sample and atmospheric vocals. Dope breakdown in the last minute of the song and operatic (?) vocals come in adding interesting complexity to the beat.
8. “Humble Pie feat. Lana Shea” - 3:35 - starts off with children’s story about a piglet; rhymes and beats come in hard about getting bullied at school; Dope effected vocals come. Lana Shea’s vocals are great throughout the chorus; Del’s rhymes are empathetic for the bully; dope song. Play this!
9. “Fly Away” - 0:38 - Silver Apples-y interlude.
10. “Far Beyond feat. Goapele & Zyme” - 3:58 - Funky drums and spacey synth and bass line; Del rhyming about robots and rappers and skill. Goapele’s familiar vocals come in;
11. “Chili Sauce feat. James Melo & Mr. Micro” - 3:03 - Super funky beat; Very cool 80s synth vibe. Male vocals singing from James Melo. Very poppy and feels like a single. Not a lot of rapping on this one. The beat is centered as are the singing vocals.
12. “Funkrolla 4.0” - 0:31 - interlude
13. “Sit Ya Ass Down” - 3:33 - G Funkish beat. Lyrics about serving rappers and lots of interesting imagery.
14. “On The Ball feat. Eligh” - 3:54 - super hard 1/2 time boom bap drums. Panning twinkling sleighbells/hi hats. Double time synths. Eligh’s double time raps are fun to hear on this track. Great rap track.
15. “Get Some Of Dis” - 3:42 - lots of space in this beat; drums are subdued at moments and drop out completely at others. Lots of cool vibes/key sounds; panning hi hats; Del’s raps continue to cover topics of wack artists, etc. Nothing groundbreaking in terms of the content but still fun to listen to and the beat is great.