|Add Date:||2002-11-11|| ||Pull Date:||2003-01-13|| |
|Week Ending:||12 Jan||5 Jan||29 Dec||15 Dec||8 Dec||1 Dec||24 Nov||17 Nov|
Low "Trust" - The latest effort by Low. While it's not completely bad, I wouldn't say it impressed me very much. Many songs are slow, plodding, and dreary to the point where they cross over from rock into goth-land. Echoing, pounding drums, bells, chimes, and far-away sounding vocals are all over the place here. Other songs are a bit more rock or pop oriented, but it's all pretty slow, quiet, and not very musically interesting. There are a few good songs, but overall it was kind of mediocre.|
My Picks: 2, 5, 11
Katie P. 10/28/02
1) Fades in slowly with bells then drops into echoey, pounding drums, thick plodding bass, guitar, and bells. Pretty slow and dirgey. Male vocals with female backups. Fades out.
2) Cool psychedelic guitars start this one off. Sounds much more like rock than previous track, actually kind of poppy. Midtempo song.
3) Dreary and plodding. Same kind of pounding, echoey drums. Male vocals with female backups. Ends abruptly.
4) Slow vocals with piano and guitars. A lot of vocal layering.
5) Fades in with jingley guitar sounds. Soft and slow. Female vocals up front and some weird blips in the background. Simple but quite pretty. Fades out.
6) Fades in very slowly with random guitar, piano, and clack sounds. Vocals come in timidly. About half through it gets loud and plodding.
7) Acoustic guitar starts this off. Slow and quiet. Nice vocal mix.
8) Slightly faster with a waltz beat. Nice vocal mix here too. This one is kind of cute.
9) Pounding drums with some bells. Again very plodding and dreary.
10) Quiet male vocals with some quiet guitar and backup vocals. Builds at times and drops off into quiet again.
11) Guitar with a nice mix of male and female vocals. Slow midtempo with chorus of "La la la" and handclaps.
12) Piano to start, then female vocals are added. Nice.
13) Fades in with what sounds like a sustained vocal note and then some guitars and vocals. Scraping noises in background. Lyrics are eerie. Builds with strings and droning sounds and really builds some tension. I don't really like this one, but musically it's one of the more interesting songs. The end part is really cool, but I did not like the vocals in this.