|Extra Action Marching Band / Live On Stubnitz|
|Add Date:||2005-09-11|| ||Pull Date:||2005-11-13|| |
|Week Ending:||13 Nov||6 Nov||30 Oct||23 Oct||9 Oct||2 Oct||25 Sep||18 Sep|
Extra Action Marching Band – Live on the Stubnitz (diy)|
The bay area’s very own marching band! Lots of brass and percussion and lots of fun without being as predictable as your average college marching band. Lots of loud booming percussion and brass, recorded live while they were on their European tour. There is an overall punk attitude, generous use of the cowbell, and a handful of great covers including Black Sabbath’s “The Wizard” and a song from Cheech & Chong's Up In Smoke.
1. Quiet percussion and crowed cheering beginning. They sound like they might be entering the room (marching!). Fast paced and percussion heavy including a handful of percussion only solos and breakdowns.
2. Another percussion heavy track. The horn playing is catchy and melodic. After about two minutes, the track changes completely into a slow, sexy, brass-heavy, striptease.
**3. Eastern European brass band sound!
**4. Odd feeling to the rhythm. Busy and complicated. This is a cover of a song from Cheech & Chong's Up In Smoke.
**5. What a great and accurate title. “Dirge”. This slow, sad march feels like a funeral procession.
**6. Cowbell! Fast and percussion heavy. After about 4 minutes fun horns come in and it is a party.
7. Slow simpler percussion at the beginning. This track is busy with many changes.
8. Sort of a drunken belly dance song. At the halfway point, the track really picks up the pace.
9. Short and the horns lead the way.
**10. What a great song to cover this way! Black Sabbath’s “The Wizard”. This starts really slow with just a few horns then kicks into the main riffs of the Sabbath song. The solos are fun.
11. I’m not sure I think this cover of “Enter the Dragon” works so well. The percussion is a bit too loud.
Excellent stuff -mph