|Various Artists / Classic Railroad Songs|
|Add Date:||2006-02-12|| ||Pull Date:||2006-04-16|| ||Charts:||Country/Bluegrass|
|Week Ending:||16 Apr||9 Apr||5 Mar||26 Feb||19 Feb|
Amazing collection of American folk music about trains, mostly recorded in the 1950s. Work songs, ballads, blues, etc. Performers read like a who’s who: Lead Belly, Doc Watson, Pete Seeger, Woody Guthrie, Elizabeth Cotton, Cisco Houston, and more. Lots of fantastic fiddles, banjos, guitars, and, of course, voices. Great notes. Not a bad track in the bunch. A fascinating look at American musical history.|
1. :24 seconds of a train going by.
*2. Cool toe-tapping bluegrass w/catchy vocal harmonies.
*3. Furry Lewis, his guitar and lazy voice. Downtempo goodness.
4. Banjo & sweet male vox. Low key, head-nodding.
5. Midtempo story song. Guitar/vox, about turning to crime.
*6. A capella gospel-tinged work song. Too short!
7. Frail but sweet female vox/guitar. Midtempo.
8. Rich male vox/guitar. Down/midtempo
9. Story about a Mormon polygamous RR man. Sung to “Oh Susanna”
*10. Great upbeat bluegrass instrumental jam. A bit of “oh yeahs.”
11. Low key capella fem. vox, - thin but compellingly real. Good.
*12. Midtempo bluegrass about the return of a dead soldier.
*13. Upbeat mountain tune w/great guitar/vox.
14. Lead Belly on a classic. Spoken word intro, get drivin’.
*15. Great harp (as the train), guitars. Upbeat instrumental. Yow!
16. Guitar/vocals duet on toe-tapping classic.
17. Sweet fem. voice/guitar. Lazy, midtempo ballad.
18. Freight Train Blues. Vox/guitar. Solid blues.
19. Midtempo guitar/vox/autoharp. About a train wreck.
*20. Lazy male vox/guitar. Almost a Celtic sound.
21. Sweet fem vox, light & low-key w/quiet guitar.
*22. A dog barks, men work. Slow, serious work song.
23. Great toe-tapping harmonica instrumental. Too short.
24. Twangy family bluegrass jam. Bouncy. Live recording.
*25. Mid/uptempo classic w/Lead Belly on guitar/vox. Cool.
*26. One of the great all-time train songs. Midtempo bounce.
27. Harmonica instrumental. Upbeat train sounds. Cool!
28. Solid old-time stringband. Great sound & so well played.
29. :24 seconds of a train