|Add Date:||2007-12-09|| ||Pull Date:||2008-02-10|| ||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||10 Feb||3 Feb||13 Jan||6 Jan||23 Dec||16 Dec|
Rich was one of the most famous jazz drummers of the 20th century. Not for him subtle backing percussion to set a gentle rhythm. Here he slashes and smashes his way through some solid, sharp, straight-up jazz recorded live in the 70s. No long drum solos, really....he gives the spotlight to his top-notch band. Superb arrangements too. My only complaint is that sometimes the soloists seem to be too far from the mic, but don’t let that put you off. Play any track – this is on fuego!|
1. Up/midtempo jam with killer horns. The sax, especially, wails.
2. Way hip retro 60s spy jazz chase. Uptempo, sassy, brassy. Cool!
3. Upbeat Bud Powell swing w/sweet piano/sax solos.
4. Fast horn tangle from the start, a crazy big band tour-de-force.
5. Relaxed, downtempo and more than a hint of blues w/great solos.
6. Mid/upbeat, sophisticated urban hardbop groove.
7. Tight, uptempo swing w/bright brass solos & a joyful sound.
8. Funky upbeat jazz w/a sweeping, very 70s sound.
9. Relaxed midtempo buzz w/great sax squawks.
10. Wicked fast tumble where everyone gets a chance to shine.
11. Solid, brassy “Chicago” w/Rich leading the jam.