|Loungeclash / Dread Time Story|
|Add Date:||2008-03-09|| ||Pull Date:||2008-05-11|| ||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||27 Apr||20 Apr||13 Apr||6 Apr||30 Mar||23 Mar||16 Mar|
Loungeclash- Dread Time Story|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 3/6/08
Tiki Dub... or, more precisely, Electronic Lounge Beat Jazz with homage to Dub Reggae. Well, it probably won’t make a lot more sense after you listen to it, either! Mostly quite mellow-to-spooky in mood. Often with a Reggae beat, but not really a Reggae feel. Interesting stuff, no doubt. One of the ringleaders used to be in Transglobal Underground, if that helps ground anyone any...
FCC – major moaning on track 9. I like 3 best.
1. 5:13 **bongo fury! Uptempo and rather intense but still somehow lounge-y beat. One-drop, but not really Reggae, still quite enjoyable.
2. 4:33 ***bass ‘n’ shakers intro, downtempo and very relaxed jazzy reggae dub with a bit of scratching for flavor. Just the thing for a drink involving a paper parasol.
3. 4:42 ****very cool hand percussion riddim with just a touch of tabla and a fair amount of spooky vibe. Theremin alert! Neet!
4. 4:26 *low key yet disturbing electronic intro, then double-time dub beat with... insects? Guess so! Long, buggy outro.
5. 4:19 ***long single note intro, then a bit of big drums, then very slow dub reggae with scratching and theremin. Spook you right out, it will.
6. 4:13 **total mellow lounge, complete with bird calls... no, here comes the dub... elements of slinky jazz, moments of cinemascope.
7. 3:52 **bongos and stand up bass, groovy, man! Still with elements of weird... Organ solo and clarinet. Long outro.
8. 3:25 *random percussion intro, cute little happy beat after 30+ seconds. This one is kind of patternless, to me...
9. 3:56 FCC – moaning *highly syncopated bop with spoken samples. Increasingly suggestive. A fair amount of female moaning. Safe Harbor only...
10. 2:47 **percussion and jazziness, building gradually into midtempo laid-back finger-snapper. Vocal yips...
11. 3:22 **pleasant midtempo bass-driven skank with lots and lots of random noises and scratching.
12. 5:34 ***theremin, bongos, midtempo lounge groove. The sax KNOWS it’s bitchen. Hey, who invited the electric guitar? Very long random keyboard and sax outro.