Horace Andy – Jah Is The One|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 6/14/08
Comp of roots rock and rock steady from a great singer known for sweet baritone and pure falsetto. Some tracks on CD one are very murky and soft, unfortunately. Andy always got great musicians and producers, so there’s some fine rhythm sections a some tasty dub, esp. on CD two. Andy is a very earnest lyricist and vocalist, and very devout.
No FCCs. Tracks 9 and 12 on CD 1, and 2, 6, 8, 13, 18 on CD 2 best.
1. 2:52 ***midtempo roots bubble, pure falsetto (and normal) vocals, devout religious lyrics.
2. 2:29 **sweet midtempo bubble, really lovely love song.
3. 3:02 *rather downtempo skank, spoken intro, pleasant song.
4. 3:41 **uptempo bubble, upful lyrics.
5. 3:07 **slightly uptempo, sweet remake of a major American hit (most famously by the Fleetwoods).
6. 3:22 **uptempo bubble, vocals sound like they’re recorded in a bathroom, but that’s rock steady for ya. Guitar solo – rather rare in rock steady. Lyrics seem to be about anonymous lust...
7. 2:14 **finally, the pot song! Actually seems rather like a very slow calypso/ska number.
8. 3:10 ***uptempo bounce, brotherhood lyrics. Nice.
9. 3:27 ****slow roots skank with a bit of dub, terrific song (also recorded by Black Uhuru on one of their earliest albums.)
10. 2:25 *slow skank, cover of the Bill Withers number, vocals way up front but not terribly inspired.
11. 2:09 extremely murky and soft track – bloody unfortunate, as it’s a great song and a classic.
12. 4:06 ****slow swingy bubble, great song (also a hit by Delroy Wilson – this version is a bit slower but at least as good.)
13. 3:04 another murky and soft track. Damn! Midtempo bubble with rightful living lyrics.
14. 2:37 *sad lost love song.
15. 2:40 **downtempo bubble with some rather extreme farfisa. Rich people gonna get it come judgment time lyrics.
16. 3:19 *downtempo skank, somewhat odd lyrics about relationships.
17. 3:58 *low levels, quite minimalist and a bit dubby, lament about violence and evil.
18. 3:31 **midtempo slightly dubby bubble, mostly drum and bass; can’t trust anyone lyrics.
19. 4:17 ***downtempo dubby and minimalist skank, everybody party lyrics. Cuts out completely and comes back about half a minute from end.
20. 4:00 *again very murky sounding, downtempo bubble, history lesson lyrics, basically chanted. Interesting and a bit odd.
1. 3:53 **midtempo minimalist skank, people are wicked lyrics, quite impassioned.
2. 4:48 ****rather dramatic intro, downtempo bubble with fun hand percussion, bun dung Babylon lyrics.
3. 2:05 **downtempo dubby skank, moralizing lyrics.
4. 4:13 **midtempo upbeat bubble, sweet and earnest love song.
5. 3:24 *downtempo guitar-driven bubble, rather odd religious lyrics.
6. 5:37 *****very downtempo bubble, rather bitter lyrics. I can get behind this, actually.... Includes excellent dub.
7. 3:48 **tingly piano intro, downtempo skank with a bit of nyahbinghi, lament lyrics. Cuts out dubwise.
8. 3:28 ****midtempo swingy bounce, cool riddim, love life lyrics.
9. 4:10 *downtempo rootsy skank, rather stream of consciousness lyrics.
10. 4:14 **slow bubble, freedom song lyrics, cuts out and comes back a few seconds from end.
11. 3:41 ***downtempo dubby skank, diatribe against the modern world.
12. 3:38 *midtempo skank, another diatribe.
13. 2:58 ****terrific downtempo skank with cool running bass line, sweet love song, huge hit.
14. 2:15 *classic rock steady sound, jealousy song.
15. 2:51 ***uptempo rock steady skank, Andy’s vocals are in fine form, although Jah knows what he’s on about...
16. 2:26 ***better quality sound than most tracks, somewhat uptempo and upbeat skank, evil money lyrics.
17. 3:17 **midtempo swingy bubble, Armageddon lyrics.
18. 3:58 ****midtempo bass-driven bubble, liberation lyrics partially from a massive Hugh Mundell hit.
19. 3:53 ***midtempo swingy bubble, fine playing and singing, religious lyrics – would be 4 stars except for a bit of overt homophobia in the lyrics.
20. 2:18 *very slow version of the Bill Withers hit.