|Scott-Heron, Gil And Jamie Xx / We're New Here|
|Add Date:||2011-05-14|| ||Pull Date:||2011-07-16|| |
|Week Ending:||17 Jul||10 Jul||3 Jul||26 Jun||19 Jun||12 Jun||5 Jun||29 May|
British youngster Jamie Smith of The xx fame joins Gil Scott-Heron for an album that, unsurprisingly, falls somewhere in between the xx’s moody dubstep and Heron’s raw ramblings. Wow, that sounds weird, you may think. And you’re right. But it’s also pretty darn awesome.|
Try: 2, 1, 7, 11
1) * 3:27 Spoken word intro. Reich-y stringy synths, smurf vocals, breaks into lo-fi dubstep.
2) * 3:11 Atmospheric. Raw, raspy vocals and lots of reverb-drenched percussion.
3) 0:28 Brief interlude. Exotic percussion, drowsy vocals.
4) 3:32 Stuttering vocal sample. Slow beat dragging along, spoken word vocals. Dissolves into abstract synthesizers, clickety clackety
5) 4:27 Softer than the other tracks. Slow and melodic, almost lounge at times.
6) 0:09 Drums and a grandfather laugh
7) * 3:10 Soft female vocals abruptly interrupted by upbeat drums. Then, the two melt together in a fluffy drum’n’bass cocktail.
8) 4:18 Radio fuzz intro. Shuffling beat and UK-funky synths.
9) 0:29 Heady drum beat winds down.
10) 1:16 Staccato piano keys and Heron’s words on top.
11) * 5:44 The single. Dramatic intro, bounces into heavy drums. Dark and intimidating, subtle wobble.
12) 0:50 Jazzy drums, Heron talks about how jazz music is dance music.
13) 4:43 Surprisingly disco-sounding. Piano soul with Heron’s raw, manipulated voice on top and some guitar noodling.