|Alexander, Monty / Harlem-Kingston Express Live|
|Add Date:||2011-10-24|| ||Pull Date:||2011-12-26|| ||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||25 Dec||18 Dec||11 Dec||27 Nov||20 Nov||13 Nov||6 Nov||30 Oct|
Straight up jazz with a few tracks that have a heavy reggae influence. Recorded live at a gig at Dizzy’s Club at Jazz at Lincoln Center. Alexander’s piano stays nicely at the center while his trio and a swaying reggae unit add solid backup. Also watch for applause. Highly pleasant recording but nothing truly outstanding. I get the feeling this doesn’t capture the charm of the live show.|
1. Bright and sunny midtempo saunter. Sweet w/a long, quiet fade.
*2. Upbeat and playful with a nicely unpredictable arrangement.
*3. Relaxed reggae groove with a playful, locomotive bounce.
4. Tripping keys, bass, drum lead a warm mid/upbeat jam.
5. Fast and frantic redo of an old standard. Some good solos.
*6. The reggae is back in a too-short mid/up flirt.
7. Solid Kingston beat, then piano. Relaxed w/hints of heat.
8. Slow and sweet intro to a lazily lyrical float.
*9. Sort of a reggae/blues/jazz blend. Midtempo.
10. Spoken word leads to warm & happy island classic. The band
gets introduced, which ruins the flow.
11. Slow intro then an upbeat jam. A tight arrangement.