|Bach, Johann Sebastian / Cantatas Bwv 54 & 170, Concerto Bwv 1060 (Oboe & Violin / Bach, J.S. / Cantatas Bwv 54 & 170, Concerto Bwv 1060 (Oboe & Violin, Suite Bwv|
|Add Date:||2012-01-01|| ||Pull Date:||2012-03-04|| ||Charts:||Classical/Experimental|
|Week Ending:||19 Feb||5 Feb||15 Jan|
Bach, Johann Sebastian / Cantatas BWV 54 & 170, Concerto BWV 1060 (Oboe & Violin, Suite BWV 1067 (Violin & Strings)|
Label: Analekta, 2011
BACH: CANTATAS BWV 54 & 170, CONCERTO BWV 1060, SUITE BWV 1067 (TAFELMUSIK BAROQUE ORCHESTRA)
Bach’s Cantata 170 (“Delightful rest, beloved pleasure of the soul”) is the first to feature the organ in a solo role, possibly played by Bach himself when first performed. The Suite in A minor, in the French style, is a re-working probably of a delightful piece with solo violin. Bach’s early Cantata 54 (“Resist Sin”) composed in Weimar is for solo voice, violins, violas and continuo. It reminds the listener of the dangers of sin, and opens with a sinful chord. The Concerto for Oboe and Violin in C minor is a transcription of his enjoyable Concerto for Two Harpsichords in C Minor. Tafelmusik is Canada’s award-winning orchestra on period instruments, highly praised by Gramophone magazine.
1. (6:45) Cantata BWV 170. Aria: Delightful Rest, Beloved Pleasure Of The Soul. Lovely, lilting melody for soprano and oboe.
2. (1:19) Recitative: The World, That House Of Sin.
3. (7:32) Aria: How The Perverted Hearts Afflict Me. Twisting, chromatic organ lines interrupted by bursts of elaborate figuration.
4. (1:18) Recitative: Who Should Hereafter Wish
5. (5:47) Aria: It Sicken Me To Live Longer. Joyful.
6. (6:36) Suite In A Minor For Violin And Strings, BWV 1067: Ouverture. Stately, minor key walking melody.
7. (1:52) Suite In A Minor: Rondeau. Well-known, hummable.
8. (3:18) Suite In A Minor: Sarabande. Elaborate, slow dance.
9. (1:47) Suite In A Minor: Bourrée I & II. Quick-step, up.
10. (3:07) Suite In A Minor: Polonaise Et Double. Well-known. Courtly
11. (1:10) Suite In A Minor: Menuet. Mid-tempo dance, well-known.
12. (1:23) Suite In A Minor: Badinerie. Well-known. Fleet.
13. (8:49) Cantata BWV 54. Aria: Just Resist Sin. Dissonance gives way to uplifting melody.
14. (1:13) Recitative: The Appearance Of Vile Sin
15. (2:58) Aria: Whoever Sins Is Of The Devil. Chromatic descent warns off potential sinners, while soprano elaborates.
16. (5:07) Concerto for Oboe and Violin in C Minor. BWV 1060: Allegro. Appealing minor melodies spin ever forward.
17. (4:43) Concerto for Oboe and Violin in C Minor. Adagio. Musical canons gracefully entertain.
18. (3:28) Concerto for Oboe and Violin in C Minor. Allegro. Sing, oh sing, ye men and women of this imperfect world.