|Broken Social Scene / Hug Of Thunder|
|Add Date:||2017-08-10|| ||Pull Date:||2017-10-12|| |
|Week Ending:||20 Aug||13 Aug|
Canadian indie rock/experimental pop collective formed by Kevin Drew & Brendan Canning and associated with a staggering number of people, including Feist, Do Make Say Think, and Metric to name a few. First album in seven years and it’s hella good. Lots of lush atmospheric guitars, vocal harmonies, and instrumental excess done well. Highly recommended—I tried to list favorites, but honestly all tracks are great!|
Related: Kevin Drew, Land of Talk, Destroyer, Stars
Favorites: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10
1. (1:20) Sol Luna—Pretty gleaming strings ambient
2. (4:42) * Halfway Home—Fast frantic vocal harmonies, solos, epic drums.
3. (4:18) *** Protest Song—Fun emotive jam, sweet soloing.
4. (4:11) ** Skyline—More subdued, acoustic.
5. (4:11) ** Stay Happy—Heavier funk groove, great bass & trumpet action.
6. (3:59) ** Vanity Pail Kids—Outsized, intense, dancey. Really cool drums
7. (4:55) * Hug of Thunder—Dreamy atmospheric vocal harmonies move into something more pop.
8. (4:01) Towers and Masons—Angular mathy rock.
9. (4:55) *** Victim Lover—Dreamy subdued with chiming ascending refrains.
10. (4:54) * Please Take Me With You—A lot like their first record. Slow thoughtful distant melancholia
11. (5:11) Gonna Get Better—Jazzy track, mostly Feist’s vox, cool slowly evolving drums.
12. (5:44) Mouth Guards of the Apocalypse—FCC shit at 2:40. Moody experimental first half. Then... total arena rock!