|Profligate / Somewhere Else|
|Add Date:||2018-01-30|| ||Pull Date:||2018-04-03|| |
|Week Ending:||8 Apr||1 Apr||25 Mar||18 Mar||11 Mar||4 Mar||25 Feb||18 Feb|
Somewhere Else is the third long play and first one since 2014 by Philadelphia’s electronic musician Noah Anthony better known as Profligate. Synthwave with tints of abstract, techno, darkwave, and ambient. Interesting balance between man made and machine generated sounds. Vocals on every track.|
Something else from the press release:
Noah Anthony walks the line between dark pop and noise on the new Profligate LP, Somewhere Else. Over the Summer of 2016 Profligate began operating as a duo featuring L.A. poet/musician Elaine Kahn on additional vocals and instrumentation. The Somewhere Else LP features tracks they worked on together as well as solo work from Anthony.
RIYL: Windsor For The Derby, Horse Lords, Darkside, Tropic Of Cancer and Depeche Mode’s instrumental passages on their 1986’s LP, Black Celebration.
FCC WARNING: 4
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6
1. (8:06) ** Somewhere Else – Buried in the mix, a distant fast beat, accompanied by controlled white noise bursts, synth parts, a sporadic bass line and ongoing muted vocal. Synthwave ballad.
2. (5:55) * A Circle – Ambient intro, some hushed vocals. By 1:16, a harsh continuous beat jumps in. Hard techno beats and sounds supplement a softly sung darkwave song. Male/female vocals. Peculiar tension.
3. (4:55) * Enlist – Slow/fast beat. Lots of breaks in tempo. Harsh sounds, techno elements, male/fame vocals. Very Darkside. Noteworthy.
4. (5:16) Lose A Little – FCC (Fuck). Medium tempo recording more in the spirit of Morr music classic indietronica sound. Interesting sounds. Male/female vocals. Lots of breaks on tempo.
5. (4:13) *** Black Plate – Upbeat tempo. Solid dancey recording with tints of darkwave and industrial. Reminds me of Lebanon Hanover. My favorite on the album.
6. (5:49) * Jet Black (King of the World) – Ambient industrial. Vocals appeared at 1:51. Dense and expansive.
7. (4:30) Needle in Your Lip – Abstract synthwave. Slow. Female vocals. Curious tension between all elements of the song.