|Haino, Keiji & Sumac / American Dollar Bill - Keep Facing Sideways, You're Too Hideous To Look At Face|
|Add Date:||2018-03-06|| ||Pull Date:||2018-05-08|| ||Charts:||Loud|
|Week Ending:||8 Apr||25 Mar||11 Mar|
If such a thing as free metal (as in “free jazz”) exists, this is it. Keiji Haino, who’s now 65 and has been described as “almost a theoretician of loudness,” has built his career on longform improvisations that push the limits of rock ’n’ roll. His music is so over the top that NHK, Japan’s national radio and TV broadcaster, banned him from the air for 40 years. Here he’s fronting a metal supergroup featuring members of Isis and Russian Circles, so in terms of sheer power this record is on another level. These improvised pieces are pure spontaneous energy, dramatic and maximal all the time. I’m so glad this exists. RIYL Scott Walker & Sunn (((O))), Don Caballero, The Psychic Paramount, Ornette Coleman, Jimi Hendrix’s “Star-Spangled Banner.” Favorites: 2, 3, 5. No FCCs.|
1. (19:54)—Slow, resonant, jagged guitar. Gnarly flute. Gets into a shuffling rhythm, builds. Haino’s singing reaches a scream at four minutes. Sounds like Steve-Albini-type rock but with more bass. Long section of Haino shouting over waves of dense sound. Overwhelming full-bore ending.
2. *(9:01)—Chaotic, arrhythmic bash-out. Screamingly loud, even though there are no vocals.
3. *(11:07)—Slow, bluesy, deep, woozy. Surprisingly pretty, at least until Haino starts screaming at the five-minute mark. They should have played this at the Roadhouse on the last Twin Peaks season.
4. (15:42)—Out-the-gate bash-out noise. Relentless for five minutes, then lapses into a slow, sparse, psychedelic jam. Extremely loud finish.
5. *(11:12)—Fast, hyperkinetic drumming. Wall of guitar noise. Reaches something like a breakdown halfway through, even though it’s still totally spastic. More thick slabs of guitar and noise.
NOTE: In typical Keiji Haino fashion, the track titles are hella long, so long that ZK can’t show most of them in full. Below are the complete titles, for reading on air:
1. American Dollar Bill - Keep Facing Sideways, You're Too Hideous To Look At Face On
2. What Have I Done? (I Was Reeling In Something White And I Became Able To Do Anything I Made A Hole Imprisoned Time Within It Created Friction Stopped Listening To Warnings Ceased Fixing My Errors Made The Impossible Possible? Turned Sadness Into Joy) Pt. 1
3. I'm Over 137% A Love Junkie And Still It's Not Enough Pt. 1
4. I'm Over 137% A Love Junkie And Still It's Not Enough Pt. 2
5. What Have I Done? (I Was Reeling In Something White And I Became Able To Do Anything I Made A Hole Imprisoned Time Within It Created Friction Stopped Listening To Warnings Ceased Fixing My Errors Made The Impossible Possible? Turned Sadness Into Joy) Pt. 2