Billy Strings, “Turmoil and Tinfoil”
It gets easy to overdose on bluegrass, as these tend to be so much repetition. I found this album to be refreshingly different, an evolution in bluegrass, bluegrass beyond. This is a varied and interesting album from a talented musician. I wanted to star everything, because it’s all good, but the starred ones I found truly exceptional!
1. Med - Traditional Bluegrass
*2. Med - Starts as traditional bluegrass but evolves into what can only be described as a psych bluegrass instrumental
3. Slow/Med - Bluegrass/ ballad, nice violin
4. Med - Meandering country rock with vocalizations
**5. What begins as traditional bluegrass with cool springy sound turns instrumental with yips
*6. Med - interesting tune, bluegrass style
*7. Med - Meandering instrumental
*8. WEIRD AND UNIQUE! - Spoken word
9. Med/Fast - Traditional bluegrass
10. Med - bluegrass instrumental with fancy fingerwork
*11. Med - bluesy, rock and roll tune
12. Slow/Med - I swear, it’s bluegrass honky tonk!
*12. Slow - Long silence, then sounds like electric static