|Tunnel of Love / 2 Am in the Tunnel of Love|
|Add Date:||2004-04-26|| ||Pull Date:||2004-06-28|| |
|Week Ending:||30 May||9 May||2 May|
Buzzy metallic rock/pop combination of nightmarish 60s beach music and carnival sounds. Kind of, as the included notes say, like a Halloween party. The album title’s a pretty apt conjurer of what this stuff sounds like. The B-Movie of music; urgent, melodramatic, pseudoscientific, ultimately tongue-in-cheek. Overdramatic vocals and silly (not in a bad way) lyrics. The titles are really evocative of what the tunes sound like. Weeeeird, but inexplicably cool. Tracks 4, 7, and 9 are the most immediately accessible; others are more out there.|
1. (3:23) buzzy electric nightmare about a Scary Man
2. (2:55) "Midnight at the Beach"; pretty much sums it up. Haunted Gidget Party.
3. (1:44) "Hall of Mirrors" Haunted pitch-bend synths, repeats a lot. Instrumental
4. *(3:25) "Torch (part II)" Like an Evil Prom song. Devilishly doo-wop-y.
5. (3:24) Organ, buzzsaw guitar, eerie, slow-ish and building. Monster’s coming!
6. (2:59) Cheesy movie samples, then dark gothy with Faith No More-ish vocals
7. *(3:38) Out-of-tune surfy synth organ and drums; the anthem of "Invisible Stan"
8. (2;50) Like Dracula’s sassy strut number, with over-loud organ
9. *(2:39) Electronic melody with beats, industrial sounds. Evil Bond? Instrumental.
10. (3:00) sparse, groovy 70s organ over perc, anguished vox
11. (1:20) electronic noise/melody, sounds like playing with the keyboard. Actually kinda cool.