Tropa Magica - “Tropa Magica”
Really fun and groovy cumbia/rock jams from East LA Tropa Magica! Very dancey and psychedelic vibes. Excellent tones. Play these jams on your show and get down.
RIYL: Chicano Batman, rocking cumbia tunes, Chicha, psychedelic stuff, animal collective, and other similar vibes.
Favorites: 3, 4, 5, 8,
1. Disco Queen - 4:30 - Upbeat with some funky guitars and bassline and sort of lighthearted vibe, but with a spooky twist. Lyrics about dreams and other sort of surreal stuff. Nice guitar breakdown toward last 1/3 of song.
2. Dona Verano - 2:21 - Another sort of upbeat disco beat and this time the vocals are darkly whimsical and echoey in a cool way. Fun, somewhat surreal and trippy vibe. Sounds like this would be great at a summer party where things are fun and weird.
3. KoopaKabra - 4:08 - Epic panning drum rolls and synths lead into funky disco cumbia vibes; nice surf rock/chicha/cumbia guitars. Sick tones and groove. Vocals in Spanish. Very sick track.
4. La Flor - 4:44 - Groovy cumbia track with prominent percussion and guitar. More vocals in Spanish make this sound dope. Kind of melancholy vibe on this one. More sick guitar tones.
5. Morena - 3:30 - real upbeat bassline and funky drumming; this is a hot single. Real dancey groove. Lyrics about dancing and music. This sounds like the band’s theme song. Banger.
6. Primus Sucks - 3:29 - clever song title because the bassline sounds like the RHCP or Primus jams? Not an issue because the cumbia guitar melodies and percussion keep it moving forward. Funny English vocals including the phrase “Primus sucks” and “we got small dogs and they’re not scared.” Very cute, fun, and whimsical. I support this vibe. This is a mood.
7. Sonabas - 2:50 - This one has a poppy vibe that’s sort of disco like the others but more on the pop side of the spectrum. Cool harmonizing. Not my favorite track but still a good jam.
8. SuperSonico - 3:37 - Another fun and groovy jam. Bass, drums, reverbed out guitar melodies played in surfy manner. Individual vocals and group harmonizing on chorus. Dope jam.
9. UFORIA - 4:13 - More dancey bassline and drum beats with cowbell and guitars rounding out the frequencies. Dope use of space. Cool vocals in Spanish.
10. Ya Viejo - 1:11 - chill ballad type closer.