|Girlpool / What Chaos Is Imaginary|
|Album:||What Chaos Is Imaginary||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2019-09-09||Pull Date:||2019-11-11|
|Week Ending:||17 Nov||10 Nov||3 Nov||27 Oct||20 Oct||13 Oct||6 Oct||29 Sep|
|1.||Mon, 11 Nov 19:||a.b. en masse|
|4.||Wed, 06 Nov 19:||Super Chuck|
The Fuzz Deli
|2.||Fri, 08 Nov 19:||DJ Genesis|
|5.||Wed, 06 Nov 19:||DJ Stace|
|3.||Thu, 07 Nov 19:||DJ Postnatal|
I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants
|6.||Fri, 01 Nov 19:||DJ Genesis|
The range of this album is pretty astounding. There’s some standard indie rock, some tale-telling folk, some wander the streets in the middle of the night sad music, and even some Twin Peaks: The Return (check out the show’s soundtrack for more info). Overall, this is a super solid album with a lot of good ones and a few great ones. More importantly, there’s something for everyone and not many artists are able to do that.|
Recommended: 4, 6, 12
RIYL: Twin Peaks, Elliott Smith, Yuck, Pavement, Frankie Cosmos
1. Lucy’s (3:03) *** - A really slow 4 on the floor accompanied by distorted picking and low vocals. Super chill!
2. Stale Device (3:11) *** - Chiming guitars and light ride are reminiscent of Pavement, but the vocals are much more complicated and blended. Range life but with a killer outro!
3. Where You Sink (3:22) *** - Ominous guitar and vocals with interesting electronic beats and sounds.
4. Hire (2:55) ***** - Jangly fill-heavy drums with clean guitar rhythms and clean vocals. Instruments like Twin Peaks and vocals like Elliott Smith. FCC (Fuck).
5. Pretty (3:26) *** - Simple 3-chord guitar rhythm with even simpler drums that works surprisingly well. A couple vocal and guitar solo breaks in between.
6. Chemical Freeze (4:22) **** - There are several dissonant sounds and effects that make the vocals even sadder than they already sound. There’s some polyrhythm to make it even more dissonant. Long outro warning!
7. All Blacked Out (3:07) *** - Lots of reverb chamber guitar that highlight the vocals. Sad and quiet.
8. Lucky Joke (2:37) *** - Whipping out some jazzy drum beats, but more of the same. Mid tempo and bright.
9. Minute in Your Mind (2:21) ** - Very similar to Twin Peaks: The Return but in the same disappointing way. If you know, you know lol.
10. What Chaos is Imaginary (5:24) *** - Vocals sound like refined Frankie Cosmos accompanied by a church organ and a Colleen Green Drum Machine TM. String quartet comes in around 3:30! Another long outro.
11. Hoax and the Shrine (2:38) ** - A bit of light folksy acoustic picking and soprano vocals.
12. Swamp and Bay (3:12) ***** - Jazzy drums are back with a vengeance, and the rest of the band is inspired. I’d like to think this is about Chicago and San Francisco but probably not. Sick instrumental outro begins at 1:54.
13. Joseph’s Dad (2:27) *** - Mid tempo and up beat. Not that interesting but has some good instrumental moments. Ends with guitar distortion.
14. Roses (3:33) *** - Ending with more Twin Peaks: The Return but more like Yuck’s Rubber guitar and a bit of dark wave distortion.
|2.||Stale Device||9.||Minute In Your Mind|
|3.||Where You Sink||10.||What Chaos Is Imaginary|
|4.||Hire||11.||Hoax And The Shrine|
|5.||Pretty||12.||Swamp And Bay|
|6.||Chemical Freeze||13.||Joseph’s Dad|
|7.||All Blacked Out||14.||Roses|