|Spookfish, The / Pumpkin Beats 2|
|Album:||Pumpkin Beats 2||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Lily Tapes & Discs|
|Add Date:||2020-08-17||Pull Date:||2020-10-19||Charts:||Classical/Experimental|
Lo-fi, rustic, mostly ambient instrumental miniatures from Hudson Valley, New York. There's a melancholic, naturalistic feel to this, matching the artist's past work organizing shows that involved daylong hikes with breaks for music sets at scenic points. There aren't many beats on this brief album (if you're about to say, "I got taken for a ride," see track 2 and part of 5), but it's quite lovely and charming. RIYL Sebadoh, Ricky Eat Acid, Naps, Terrors, Lung Cycles, Ylayali. Favorites: 1, 5, 6, 8. No FCCs detected.|
1. *(2:10)—Truth in advertising: it's piano! Very pretty, lots of tape hiss.
2. (2:57)—Mid-tempo, blown-out beat. Woozy organ.
3. (1:34)—Deep, downer acoustic guitar strumming. Off-kilter keyboard.
4. (1:43)—Lo-fi keyboard melodies.
5. *(2:37)—Soft guitar strumming. Vocals! Subtle warped keyboard effects. Bass-heavy beat at the very end.
6. *(2:45)—Shuddering synth, dreamy and pastoral, slightly unsettled.
7. (1:37)—Simple, pleasant guitar fingerpicking.
8. *(7:27)—Wobbling, whooshing synth sounds. Soft guitar. RIYL Pistachio Graveyard, Fairborn Brothers. Maybe there's a monotron?
|1.||Black Ghost With Red Eyes (Piano)||5.||Hiding From Them|
|3.||Drew||7.||Petting a Dog|
|4.||Path||8.||In the Dark|