|Segall, Ty / Segall Smeagol|
|Add Date:||2020-08-17||Pull Date:||2020-10-19|
|1.||Aug 22, 2020:||Hanging in the bone yard |
|2.||Jul 18, 2020:||Hanging in the bone yard |
Gotta Get Up
Album / Artist: Segall Smeagol / Ty Segall|
Label: Bandcamp https://tysegall.bandcamp.com/album/segall-smeagol
Release Date: 3/31/2020
Review Date: 4/5/2020
Reviewer: DJ Stace
General Comments / Release Notes:
Stellar covers of most of Harry Nilsson's 1971 album, "Nilsson Schmilsson."
"I wanted to cover Nilsson Schmilsson for years, so I used the opportunity of being at home to cover my favorite cuts from the record. So here it is free on Bandcamp - "Segall Smeagol" LOVE TO EVERYONE"
RIYL: Ty Segall, Harry Nilsson, Tarantino soundtracks
Play: All, favs: 1,4 Rated with *****
1. ***** Coconut (03:31) - Midtempo Kick drum thumping, buzzing, growling and sinister version of the whimsical classic. Off-kilter, discomforting and perfectly dystopian. Play it.
2. **** Gotta Get Up (02:30) - Uptemp, Droning and (of course) buzzy. Something Sgt. Pepperish about this one. Builds to big crashing Ty Segall crescendoiness.
3. **** Drivin Along (02:29) - midtempo, slinky, funky. Great grooves.
4. ***** Early in the Morning (02:45) - slow, plodding and submerged in cigarettes and booze. Sickly, monotonic and robotic vocals. Very cool.
5. **** The Moonbeam Song (03:03) - Cool a capella with a dozen Ty voices, a la Freddy Mercury. Complex, soothing and pleasant. More Sgt Pepper, somehow.
6. **** Jump into the Fire (06:30) - Hammering it all home for the finale with big, overdriven fuzzed out bassline, driving uptempo dance-beat (cowbell) and echoing, chaotic, batshit crazy vocals, while remaining surprisingly faithful. Not my favorite of the record, but a likely college radio hit.
|1.||Coconut||4.||Early in the Morning|
|2.||Gotta Get Up||5.||Moonbeam Song|
|3.||Drivin Along||6.||Jump Into the Fire|